Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux Newbie - Need Help :(, Running Apps as a service
devshah
post Dec 2 2003, 03:10 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,892

Hi everyone

I have a slight problem. I know you may have another flavour of Linux, I have Red Hat 7.0. and I need to know what the command/ procedure might be for running an application as a background service. I have searched high and low and cant seem to find any good source for this. (Also can anyone point me to some docs for quick fast idea of Linux and Admin related issues).

Basically we have a remote (hosted) machine, and when we close the connection to the machine it also closes the Application - how do I stop the App from closing???

Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Dec 2 2003, 03:20 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Most daemon applications have a command line parameter that will send it to the background as a service, you can check this with --help most times.

The simplist and easiest way is to follow the command with an "&".

ex.

user@localhost$: netscape &

This will respond with the process number, and bring you back to the command line. It'll execute the program and send it to the background.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Dec 2 2003, 03:35 PM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

also, you may want to use the nohup command in front of the start command to write all screen output to the file named nohup.out vice sending it to the console...

so:

nohup netscape &

(following on with corey's example) will start the netscape process in the background and not write any output to the screen that starts it.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
Newbie18
post Dec 2 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #4

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,893

Hey all,
I'm a newbie to using linux as a server or trying anyhow. I would like to know how to use the ftp: or do i have to install one? Im really new to this i just thought u would know. But also i like my partner to be able to access my server from his house? please HELP! unsure.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 11:58 AM