Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Distcc, Free Distributed C/C++ Compiler
hughesjr
post Nov 30 2003, 09:54 PM
Post #1

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

If you do a lot of compiles (Gentoo Users ... take note!) then DistCC is just what the doctor ordered.

The Documentation is pretty good, and the results are great.

I have a Gentoo install on a PIII 800, 768mb RAM machine ... I distributed the compiles across 3 other machines (P4 2.0 ghz winXP, 1gb RAM...Dual P4 2.4 ghz debian, 1gb RAM...Dual PIII 1.0 ghz Win2KServer, 1.5GB RAM).

I did a compile test of the 2.4.22 gentoo-test-sources kernel (Make dep, make clean, make bzImage). I went from 15 Minutes 31 Seconds to 2 Minutes and 48 seconds!

Installation is straight forward. In debian, apt-get distcc gets you the latest version. In gentoo, emerge distcc.

This is an awesome utility....

Here is a How-to and another one for gentoo users.

Another great feature is that you can install Cygwin on windows and then install disctcc and use windows machines to help compile your Linux code! (2 of my distcc machines are Windows based).

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
hughesjr
post Dec 4 2003, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Ops ... I have only installed it on Debian SID...I know it is in the unstable packages at debain.org.

I just tried to look at the packages for testing and stable, but they don't have the http://packages.debian.org server back on-line yet (from the rootkit incdents).

I also looked for a deb file for woody and couldn't find any, but distcc should build OK from the source files on woody (in fact lots of the people who posted testimonials were using woody).

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 10:54 AM