Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rh 5.2 Install Prob, 2 button mouse has no vertical in X wind
hikerbill
post Nov 13 2003, 11:23 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,798

I'm installing Red Hat Linux 5.2 on a Compaq Deskpro 2000 with a Pentium 200 and 98 MB of RAM. I'm very good in M$ Windows but new to Linux. I have been thru the install up to and including X window system. The mouse is configured as a generic 2 button mouse using mouseconfig. When I get into X, the mouse only moves on the horizontal axis and I can't click on anything. I have tried 2 different mice and rebooted each time I changed it. One was a M$ PS/2 Compatible and the other was a no name PS/2 mouse. I have tried several different selections in mouseconfig.
Help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Nov 13 2003, 01:17 PM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Red Hat 5.2 is no longer supported, it is very old and should not be used. The whole 5.x series was full of bugs.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Nov 15 2003, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I agree with Joey...RH 5.x series is to hard to run compared to newer Distros, and RedHat 7.3 should install OK on that machine (with your hardware).

RH7.3 becomes unsupported after 12/31/03 ... but there are current places (like apt.freshrpms.net) that will continue to provide programs for RH7.3. RH7.3 is what I would install...you can get it here:

http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

Then pick a location close to you and click the Distribution link...then go to :

/linux/7.3/en/iso/i386

You these discs to do an install:

valhalla-i386-disc1.iso
valhalla-i386-disc2.iso
valhalla-i386-disc3.iso
------------------------------------------
You can also get RH7.3 using bittorrent if you have it installed....(I love bittorrent, I normally max out my download speed with it, it only took 1hr 43mins to download all 3 Fedora Core discs!):

http://rpmfind.net/BitTorrent/

download valhalla-i386-disc1.iso, valhalla-i386-disc2.iso, valhalla-i386-disc3.iso

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
hikerbill
post Nov 16 2003, 11:10 AM
Post #4

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,798

Thanks, that sounds much better!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 07:54 AM