Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux Newbie, Red Hat 9.0
steveajones45
post Nov 10 2003, 02:54 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,781

Hello,

I have installed Red Hat 9.0 onto my laptop. However I am having a problem with the boot sequence. My Internet connection is through a PCMCIA card, to a router. When Linux boots it tries to load the network configuratin before the PCMCIA card has been installed, so the network config fails.

Is there any way that I can make the system load the PCMCIA card before the network configs tries to load. At the mement once my system has booted I have to go into services and restart the network card.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Nov 11 2003, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

RedHat normally just shows and error and delays the startup of the network card until after the PCMCIA is started.

I would just to the /etc/rc.d/rc5.d (and after that to /etc/init.d/rc3.d) and create a S link back to the network after the PCMCIA is loaded ..

right now my network is S10network ... I don't have pcmcia ... but let's assume it is S15pcmcia ... pick a number that is 1 higher than the pcmcia link (in our case 16) and do this (from inside the /etc/rc.d/rc5.d directory).

ln -s ../init.d/network S16network

then cd to /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and do the exact same command. (In both places you must be root).

reboot and see if it works!

There may be something between S10 and S16 that need the lo (loopback) interface up ... so try deleting S10network ... reboot again ... if everything is OK, then you can keep S10network removed .. if something is not working, put it back like this:

ln -s ../init.d/network S10network

and keep both start network scripts...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 05:25 AM