Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suse Evaluation Disk Problems, Freezes during installation.
compiler
post Nov 7 2003, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,765

Hello World,

I am a complete newbie to all forms of Linux. After some quick research, I decided to give Suse Linux a try. I found their Evaluation Disk file that allows you to boot Linux from a CD wihout going head first into drive partitioning and such. After a day of downloading and burning, the disk appears to work. However, after the first installation, the software begins to load the gui (I think) and then freezes. Some possible hints to the problem: I am using a few month old laptop, I just installed all the latest Windows Updates, I have System Restore turned on, to get the system to boot from the CD I entered setup and changed the load order. I'll try to post some pictures of various loading stages.

As a lifelong Windows user, I know there is a better way. Thank you for any help you can give.

Sincerely,
Compiler
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
compiler
post Nov 7 2003, 07:59 PM
Post #2

Here are the pictures. The text is blurry, but you can see the general startup procedure.
First, I change the boot order:

Next, the Welcome Screen:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/arklatexgemandmineralclub/linux/welcome.JPG[/img]

Then the Shell Loading:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/arklatexgemandmineralclub/linux/loadingshell.JPG[/img]

Then more loading:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/arklatexgemandmineralclub/linux/loading.JPG[/img]

Towards the end of loading:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/arklatexgemandmineralclub/linux/startingup.JPG[/img]

And finally, this is the failing point:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/arklatexgemandmineralclub/linux/failingpoint.JPG[/img]

I know you can't see it well, but it says something to the effect of "All is loaded, about to start." Once again, I will have to make a new update to give specific text.
Thanks again,
Compiler

+Quote Post
frodo44
post Nov 8 2003, 12:50 PM
Post #3

./configure

Member No.: 213

I don't know what's happening there, but I'll tell you now that SuSE isn't very good to start out linux with. Plus, you can't get it for free (NOTE: you only download the EVALUATION disk). Just so you know, Windows updates and system restore have absolutely nothing to do with linux. Probably what's happening is that the SuSE evaluation disk is just using a default driver for your video card that doesn't work with it. But if you're completely new to linux you should consider another distro like Redhat or Mandrake.

--------------------
Windows XP; Debian 3.0r2 (Woody)
---
Shuttle AK32 Mobo w/ Athlon XP 1700+ @ 266 FSB
GeForce 4 mx440 64mb
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz 5.1 Surround Sound
256 MB DDRAM
Seagate 80gb, Western Digital 40gb
---
weezle@charter.net

+Quote Post
compiler
post Nov 8 2003, 04:25 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the suggestion. I know I will probably download a full Linux OS (or buy one) in the future, but I am at college. I only have one computer with me and I can't go partitioning the hard drive when I need my computer every day for school. It is too great a risk for me right now. That's why I want to run the OS from a CD (just to try it out) until I can get my other computer down here and install another hard drive. If anyone knows of another Run-From-A-CD Linux that works well, I'd love to hear about it. I've heard Knoppix does this, but I wasn't so sure about it's quality dry.gif . Hope to hear from anyone soon.

Sincerely,
Compiler

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Nov 8 2003, 05:46 PM
Post #5

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

The SUSE eval CD isn't really designed to be used on a regular basis .... it is juat an evaluation. Knoppix is designed to run from the CD. I think you will have better luck with it than with the SUSE eval CD.

There are several other CD based distro's HERE

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 02:47 AM