Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bringing Up Loopback Interface - Startup Hang, RedHat 8.0 Installation Issues
blissmj
post Nov 6 2002, 05:39 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 122

Hello,

I'm having some difficulty installing RH8. I thought you experts might be able to point me in the right direction. I've got a 1.2GHz Sony laptop with 512 meg of RAM and a 40 gig hard drive. I split the drive into three partitions, 35 megs for Windows XP Pro, 4.5 meg for RedHat and 0.5 for the swap.

The installation went great, but loading hasn't been quite so successful. The load hangs when it gets to "Bringing Up Loopback Interface". Can anyone recommend a course of action for me?

Thanks,
Mike Bliss
mike@michaelbliss.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Nov 7 2002, 08:54 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

That's pretty odd for it to freeze on loopback, however, from my experiences with linux startups is that any errors (other then kernel panic) on boot up can just be waited out. It may take a few minutes, but eventually Redhat will just show Failed for it and continue to boot. It may seem like the system is locked up, but it should continue. When it does boot in, you should check out the output of ifconfig for the 'lo' interface to see if anything is listed, and try to re-initialize the loopback interface again with "ifup lo" and see if that does the trick. You could, theoretically, continue to use your system without the loopback interface initialized, however, you will run into some odd problems through daily activity. I was once having massive problems with my server, I was able to everything from a remote system, however, when the server needed to do anything with itself, it would freeze for about 5 minutes until finally after days and days of trouble shooting, I realized that 'lo' wasn't initialized. Was my face ever red smile.gif

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
dundideat
post Nov 10 2002, 01:45 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

Hi blissmj,

I'm new to linux and to this forum as well. I have a similar problem to what you're having. I installed linux on a 2Ghz laptop with 512mb ram. Partitioned my disk accordingly using partition magic and proceeded to do the install.

Well whenever i boot up in linux, Everything checks out well until i hit Bringing up loopback interface where it just hangs. I tried letting it kinda return some kind of fail signal, but it really just sits there.

I have managed to get by it with some help from some friends, but it means you have to use the interactive mode each and everytime you boot up. Hit "Shift i" when it starts booting up. When you get to this stage select no. Select no for all other internet related options as well.

Otherwise someone with the technical expertise please help.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 03:31 AM