Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Enlightenment?, Can't get enlitnmnt to start auto n rh71
lowfiber
post Nov 6 2002, 04:22 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 120

Ok, I'm a newbie, like it or not I gotta admit it.

I've been using rh 7.1 for awhile now for mundane tasks, mostly on kde but I got tired of the dull interface and I want to use enlightenment. I have no clue what is currently running, Several indicators give conflicting messages of sawfish, twm. But I have no clue how to officially determine it.

All I know is that when I change my screen manager in the gnome configuration utility, it changes to enlightenment perfectly without problems, all features intact. I have no idea how it does it, all that is hidden from me unfortunately. And then it says I'm still on enlightenment, and that it is set to default, even though it obviously isn't.

I've edited my .xinitrc and .Xclients files to exec /usr/bin/enlightenment but they are ignored for some reason. I've scanned everything from the startx file onward trying to figure out why it isn't reading that file and I can't figure it out. I'm totally clueless. I tried chmoding it to full. I can't figure out what file calls startx that might be passing in arguments I don't want.

Also, while I'm on the subject, one other thing I'm confused about. Is Enlightenment an actual replacement for kde/gnome? I see so many websites describing them as if they were mutually exclusive. That would be fine as I hate the kde taskbar and lame desktop. Frankly I could do without them.

Currently redhat 7.1, kde2, latest enlightenment. And yes I realize 8 is out, but I haven't the bandwidth to dl it and I'm not going to buy anything new until I'm sure I can get it working exactly the way I want it to.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 12:34 AM