Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mandrake Or Redhat?, Me=newbie.. redhat or mandrake?
Madaray
post Oct 31 2003, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,732

I just want to know the big differenses between redhat and mandrake?
Since i am a newbie.. and really want to learn Linux from scratch with an easy and a nice looking interface.. wich one should i use?
i have run redhat 6 earlier but only for a short time. so i have seen it before..
i just want the easiest to install and something that looks good (so i dont get bored and quit)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 31 2003, 01:22 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Either RedHat or Mandrake will work to teach you Linux. I personally like RedHat better, but with the move by RedHat to use Fedora for their free software and their shift to an enterprise only offering, Mandrake might be the better option.

I think I would still recommend RedHat with Gnome as the GUI ... and if you wait until Monday, you should be able to Fedora Cambridge (RedHat Severn). It has Gnome 2.4, KDE 3.1.4, XFree86 4.3.0, Mozilla 1.4 and OpenOffice 1.1.

Mandrake 9.2 is also just out and a good bet.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
Corey
post Oct 31 2003, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

For a new user, I would suggest Mandrake out of those two. Redhat seems to be lacking things in the past couple of releases. Even being an experienced linux user, I found Redhat sometimes hard to navigate, and found myself often doing tasks in console because it was easier.

IMHO, Redhat hasn't put out a good release since v6.2.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:12 PM