Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Installing .bin Files, Newbie
toprelaxer
post Nov 6 2002, 02:24 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 119

This may sound silly, but I am new to linux. I have downloaded and installed Mandrake Linux 9.0. I got through the installation with no problem. I have now downloaded some programs for linux. (ie.. staroffice, limewire, ect..) These programs come in a xxx.bin file. When I double click on them they open in a text editor. I believe that I have to compile the code, but I don't know what program to use in linux. I tried to find a c++ linux program on the web and have been unable to locate one. I am running the gome interface. Please help if you can.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Corey
post Nov 6 2002, 02:36 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

This is not really a silly question, this had me confused at first too. It really is quite simple though. Open up your favorite terminal (either xterm, eterm, konsole or console) and change to the directory. Most times you would want to su as root in order to insatll a *.bin, but for some software, it's not nessesary. First, you need to make the *.bin file executable by issuing the command "chmod +x foo.bin" then run the binary file with the command "./foo.bin" or "sh foo.bin". This should execute the binary and move ahead to the installation.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- toprelaxer   Installing .bin Files   Nov 6 2002, 02:24 AM
- - Corey   This is not really a silly question, this had me c...   Nov 6 2002, 02:36 PM
- - toprelaxer   Thanks!!   Nov 7 2002, 09:05 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 09:08 AM