Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Migrating To Linux?, Migrating to Linux?
Imagine
post Oct 27 2003, 07:44 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,707

Yet another Newbie. I know very little about Linux.

I have a large business application that is written primarily in Foxpro for DOS. (ver 2.0). I currently run it under Windows 95 and am looking at ways to upgrade/migrate to another operating system. I was told that because it is a DOS based program it could easily be converted to Linux.

I know nothing is easy, but would like some feedback from knowledgable Linux users about the prospects.

Thanks for your help.

Lost and confused! unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 27 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Do you have the source code for the application that is written in foxpro? What is it written with (maybe clipper)? The program Codebase can be used to convert Clipper / foxbase / DBF files and code to C++...if you have clipper experience, you could probably convert your code without to much trouble.

If you don't have the source code, it is certianly possible to run DOS based programs using winex on Linux ... but I wouldn't move any Business apps over until you (or whomever runs your computers for business if it is not you) know how to use Linux well first.

I would recomend a test machine to see if the application runs...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 08:58 PM