Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scrolling Desktop Screen, Desktop scrolls with mouse, partial view
rslinct
post Oct 27 2003, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,706

My video used to work fine and somehow it now is in a mode where it is ZOOMED in on part of the desktop view. I need to use my mouse in the side I want to scroll for the rest of the view.

I've searched and cannot find the solution to resolve this scrolling screen. I am sure this is a feature I have inadvertently turned on.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Oct 28 2003, 01:10 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

It appears that your X server has defaulted to a lower resolution. This can be solved several ways, first, the easy way. If you press Ctrl+Alt+PlusKey and/or Ctrl+Alt+MinusKey, you should be able to 'cycle' through available resolutions, finding the one that best suits your needs. If that doesn't work, then it means that you don't have the proper resolution available in your config files. Different distributions edit your X-server config file in different ways, the most basic way is to go into your console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in as root, and manually edit your config file with your favorite text editor (for new users, nano or pico may be the easiest):

user@host:# nano -w /etc/X11/XF86Config

Note: Your config may be called XF86Config-4 instead

Go down through your config file until you come accross the "screen" section, it should look something like this:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "G450_1"
    Monitor    "Mitsubishi 19"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth      16
        Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth      24
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth      32
    EndSubSection
EndSection

There are two things we look at here, first, the DefaultDepth. In the above excerpt, we see the defaultdepth is set to 24, so we go down to the Depth 24 sub section. Listed accross are the available resolutions at that color depth, the one to the far left is what is considered to be the default resolutions. All others are available using the Ctrl+Alt+PlusKey and Ctrl+Alt+MinusKey to cycle resoltuions.

After you make your changes to the file, save it (under nano and pico this is achieved with the key combo Ctrl-X and indicate Yes to save and overwrite.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
rslinct
post Oct 28 2003, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,706

Thank you for your reply. I was snooping in that area based on other posts. I had 3 files: XF86Config, XF86Config-4 and XF86Config-4.old. I checked out the .old file and saw it had different resolutions selected.

I renamed the XF86Config-4 to a temp name, then renamed the .old to XF86Config-4 and things worked out great.

This gets me asking, how do I reset this video CFG without having to manually edit this file. I would think the OS is detecting the hardware and would set things based on the video card, not the monitor attached. But then again, it runs a ton of tests on the monitor.

Thanks again for your reply and help.

At least now I can really begin to get up to speed with Linux.

+Quote Post
Corey
post Oct 28 2003, 11:55 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Most linux distributions do come with an X configuration program of some sorts. I explained how to do it manually because this would work on any linux distribution.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 03:50 PM