Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3 Questions Regarding File Structure And Sftp, Red Hat 9
axioss
post Oct 25 2003, 04:29 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,694

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the best way to break up a 160 drive for red hat 9. Since I am fairly new to linux I wanted some suggetions. Currently I bought this drive with the intentions of backing up my other two drives, bootable that is.
Other setup I think is poor but I knew no better. I have a 20GB drive (scsi) with RH9 on it (home, boot, bin, everything but var on this scsi drive) then I put the /var dir on the 80GB EIDE drive (which I ended up storing movies, software, etc) and where many go to sftp stuff off of it. Now it seems pretty wastfull to have 20GB dedicated to everything (when I have no users) and I don't have any users but myself, can forsee at most maybe 2 or 3, but small allowences. So what I would like to do is build this new 160GB drive correctly amd I am not even sure it was a good idea to put /var on 80GB. I originally thought to keep the OS on the faster drive (scsi), but now I am less certain.

Next Question: Is there any RPM's that I can install that will allow live monitor usage of SFTP, including the files, direcories they are downloading?

Last Q: now that my server is configured for ssh,vnc,sftp,appache can I easily either transfer the config files to the new os install or somehow copy the current OS to the new drive and still be bootable?

Thanks. wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Oct 28 2003, 01:51 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

A file directory structure is all in a matter of taste and usefulness. Let me shed some light:

Most system administrators for servers in a multi-user environment usually limit the amount of space under /usr , because normally after everything is setup, admins aren't constantly adding and removing software from the system. They also normally keep directorys like /var and /tmp on seperate partitions each as well, to prevent malicious (or unknowing) users from filling up the filesystem with temporary files or large emails.

If you're a home user, and the only one using your system, i would advise the following setup (someone can correct me if i'm wrong):

/dev/hda1 -> /boot (somewhere between 20 and 100 mb)

It's good to have your /boot partition as the first partition on your hard drive, as well, it should remain unmounted during normal day-to-day use for safety.

/dev/hda2 -> /home (140 Gigs)

This should be your largest partition, this should hold all of your personal files, downloads, movies, music, EVERYTHING. It's nice to keep /home on a seperate partition because sometime in the near future, you may want to format your linux install, or try a different distro. Keeping /home on a seperate partition means you can bring all your personal files, settings, logs, configs, etc. into any other linux distro, and make it still feel like home.

/dev/hda3 -> SWAP (256MB-1.0gig)

The amount of swap space you set aside depends mostly on the amount of ram in your system. I have 512MB DDR ram, so I have a 512MB swap space. If you have a SCSI drive in your system, you may want to use a partition on that drive for your swap space because of the speed increase. You will notice a faster system by having your swap space on a SCSI drive rather then normal data.

/dev/hda4 -> / (whatever is left)

I've allotted around 20 gigs for your linux install. If you can fill this partition with linux programs then you're insane, however, you can adjust this size and take away some from the /home partition.

There's my suggestions smile.gif

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 28 2003, 02:31 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

duende's setup is the way to go .... a large /home, swap (I normally use 768-1024mb), /boot (100mb), / (the rest).

If you are going to compile lots of software that you want to share (or retain on upgrades) then /opt (or /usr) in a seperate directory might be good as well ... I don't normally do anything other than /home, /boot, /, and SWAP though...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
axioss
post Oct 29 2003, 06:46 PM
Post #4

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,694

Thanks guys.. Excellent advise. I will implement your suggestions thanks for saving me grief of trial and error.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 01:49 PM