Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dual Boot Problems Ahead?, Installing XP on separate drive from Lnx
TheFastCat
post Oct 25 2003, 12:34 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,657

So I have SuSE 8.2 on one drive - -I'm about to add my 2nd drive to my computer and install XP on it . My question is whether XP will fuck with my Grub booting. Ideally I would like to default to booting into Linux (unless otherwise stated) but some people tell me that Windows "doesn't like to share with other OSs" And will somehow override my Grub booting and install it's own boot loader on top of it. I woud imagine that I will need to -reinstall grub after installing XP anyway, but am unsure of what will happen with installing XP in the first place. Massive problems ahead or "not too big a deal?"

Any advice, information? blink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 25 2003, 10:15 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

The XP install is going to over write the mbr of the boot drive....I recommend that you use Bootpart and modifiy the XP bootloader after the install of XP. Here are some instructions for bootpart.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2017 - 07:17 PM