Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Browsers Crash Xfree86, my browsers crash X and I don't know why
_sl_
post Nov 3 2002, 02:10 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 113

vital statistics: slackware8.1, kernel 2.4.19, complete install.
amd athlon 900mhz, 128mgs ram, geforce2 mx, onboard sound and ethernet.
have been doing this since roughly january, i consider myself knowledgeable about the simpler stuff but not so good with the more in-depth detailed issues.

the problem: all my gui browsers crash X for no apparent reason. it just locks up, solid, can't ctrl-alt-backspace, can't do anything but push the power-button. one by one, the browsers are turning up with actual errors, now galeon can't access libpopt.so.0, then opera segfaults...soon netscape and mozilla will die and I haven't isolated the source of the disease. when I left friday night, opera worked, and I shut down the machine while I was out of town, booted back up last night and opera wouldn't start up anymore. so I think that eliminates the idea of these being a result of hacking (since at least one of them failed when I not only wasn't online but hadn't even powered up).
Incidentally, I had issues with the nvidia drivers, so Im using the native 'nv' driver rather than the nvidia-official driver. no obvious problems, but they could be subtle.....cuz lynx doesn't lock.

Does ANYONE have any idea what might be causing this problem??
I've been round and round and I'm really stumped and I don't LIKE using lynx to check my webmail, it's awkward. sad.gif

Input welcome,thanks....
sl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
_sl_
post Nov 6 2002, 04:47 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 113

Hehehe, I run slackware, I compile EVERYTHING from source. Or nearly everything, anyway.
It can't be the browsers.
And they don't just crash...I could wish it was that simple...they take X down with them. Lock it up tight. Not cool at all.

And nobody has a clue. sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 01:22 PM