Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Start Up Problem, get a black screen on start up??
Crispy
post Oct 18 2003, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,643

Hey, i just got Suse installed on my system today, im a total newb when it comes to linux so i was wondering if someone can help me out here.

I have dual boot with winxp and linux, and when i choose to boot up in linux, my screen turns black and a little box comes up on my screen that says "out of range". What i dont get is that it worked with the guys monitor when he set it up, but when i come home, it doesn't work with my monitor.....any ideas on what's happening and what i can do to fix it??

thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 19 2003, 09:42 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Your monitor has different Vertical and Horizontal refresh rates than his...so you need to change the refresh rates in the file:

/etc/X11/XFConfig86

SUSE has a tool called sax2 that you can use to do this without editing the file. To use sax2, you need to boot SUSE in runlevel 3 (character based mode). You can do this by typing 3 in the Boot Options text box on the SUSE boot kernel selection screen and pressing the Enter key.

You should get to a character based login prompt, login as the user root

as root, issue the following command:

sax2

You should be able to configure your screen from there so it will work with your monitor...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
Crispy
post Oct 19 2003, 12:08 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,643

thanks man, worked like a charm!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 09:16 AM