Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help! - Remote Client/terminal
lieutenantdaily
post Oct 10 2003, 12:57 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,594

Hello all..

I am new to the whole Linux thing, so I hope i dont sound like an idiot smile.gif

Anyways... here's my question. Is it possible to connect to my linux x-windows desktop from my win xp computer in a LAN?

I know such a thing exists... i just dont know where to find it. I would prefer it be free if possible smile.gif

Thanks,
Lt. Daily
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ankleteeth
post Oct 10 2003, 01:12 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,567

I recommend you try VNC here Its a remote desktop control, to where you can veiw your x windows desktop form a windows or another xwindows, or actually even anywhere there is a browser, and internet access.

+Quote Post
Corey
post Oct 10 2003, 03:25 PM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Another way you can do this is with XDMCP. To use this, you need to have a login manager running such as xdm, kdm or gdm on the linux system. Go into the configuration file (usually named kderc and resides somewhere in your kde prefix) and scrolldown to the Xdmcp section. set Enable=True, Port=177, save and exit.

Now, edit your Xaccess file to restrict access to the daemon (by default, it allows every host to get a login prompt, they are still required to use a legit username and password though). When you have that saved, restart your kdm daemon.

Now, to connect from the windows side, you'll need to download a program. I use Xmanager (search downloads.com), it isn't free, but you can get a demo version, and buy it if you so please. After installing, go into the Start Menu directory and open up XBrowser. In the Address box, put in the IP of your Linux box. You should then connect to your linux box and see the kdm login prompt.

Xmanager can also run individual programs instead of a full Xserver by using the Xstart program. This method uses X11 forwarding through SSH to display linux programs in windows. You can also save the shortcuts to your desktop so you can run them like normal programs. Now you can finally have konqueror on your linux box without usign cygwin smile.gif

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
lieutenantdaily
post Oct 11 2003, 02:55 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,594

Thanks... I tried the VNC and im running into a problem... How do I enable "local loop-back connections" on my XP machine?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 11:33 AM