Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Help Bad
DarkGremio
post Oct 8 2003, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,583

Well I downloaded Mandrake 9.1 i586 and installed it and after I installed it I downloaded the latest GAIM which installed fine and everything. Next I installed WineX (Stable Release). From there it did not work in which I mean in didn't work, it couldn't open .exe files or install games that would normally run for Windows i.e. Ultima Online or Battlefield 1942. But then I tried download the latest Mandrake upgrades/patches in which I did. So after I finished installing the patches and upgrades GAIM is not showing up installed but it says its installed I mean it not on my start panel thing. Under Network > Instant Messaging > Gaim.

What is the problem?

Also what is wrong with WineX and what did I do wrong?

ph34r.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Oct 9 2003, 05:31 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

WineX doesn't run all windows programs (in fact, I think WineX,Crossover Office, etc. are pretty much worthless, they don't perform as you would expect...) ... especially there are problems with games that require direct X ... I would say if Windows games are important to you that you should dual boot into windows...<------{the first paragraph is my opinion only! Other people here might think WineX/windows emulation is great}-------->

There are games that work well in Linux ... America's Army is one ... so switching the games you run might also be an option.

As for gaim, the shortcut location might have changed. Try typing this command at a terminal window:

gaim

If it opens the program, use the command:

which gaim

You will get a full path to the program ... something like this:

/usr/bin/gaim

Now, just right click (instead of left click) on the GAIM shortcut in the menu and select properties, then type in, paste in, or browse to the gaim location in the window titled command

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 11:36 AM