Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie Sound Problem, No sound at all
Boat
post Sep 28 2003, 09:49 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,541

I have a new install of Mandrake 9.1 and I am getting no sound output at all. I know the sound works because this is a dual boot situation and it works in W2K. The sound card is a Sound Blaster Live Value Card and when I run the Mandrake control center I see it is recognized. I've tried CD's, file p;ayers and using a test sound button on one of the sound programs. I get nothing. I'm using the KDE (?) graphical interface. Any help would be appreciated.

It only took me three days to get my modem recognized so I'm getting used to this Micro$oft killer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Sep 28 2003, 02:46 PM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Have you checked to see if the mixer volume is up?

+Quote Post
voodoo
post Sep 28 2003, 03:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,252

I used to have an SB Live Value card in an old computer, I recall it was troublesome to get sound working. Most distributions do not come with a working driver for that sound card you need to download and install the emu-10k1 driver it is a project on sourceforge.net http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1/ I dont know how easy it is to get working now but a year or two ago when I used it I ran in to problems getting the cards digital output to work, but after playing with it I got it all working, hopefully they have some kind of documentation by now, and I'm sure its much more improved than when I last checked on it.

+Quote Post
Boat
post Sep 29 2003, 02:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,541

Thanks for the help. Somehow I got it working. I fooled around in Mandrake control and suddenly I had sound. Not sure what I did but that can come later.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Sep 30 2003, 04:38 AM
Post #5

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

QUOTE (voodoo @ Sep 28 2003, 03:54 PM)
I used to have an SB Live Value card in an old computer, I recall it was troublesome to get sound working. Most distributions do not come with a working driver for that sound card you need to download and install the emu-10k1 driver it is a project on sourceforge.net http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1/ I dont know how easy it is to get working now but a year or two ago when I used it I ran in to problems getting the cards digital output to work, but after playing with it I got it all working, hopefully they have some kind of documentation by now, and I'm sure its much more improved than when I last checked on it.

voodoo,
emu10k1 is now a built in kernel driver biggrin.gif ... I have been using nothing but sound blaster live cards in all my installs after RedHat 8, Mandrake 9, and SUSE 8. Hardware support is one of the biggest advantages of using newer versions of your favorite distrubution ...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 10:01 AM