Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ark, Can't unrar files
Sgtpeppered
post Sep 21 2003, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,485

I am wondering if someone can help me.... I am new to linux and i have a problem i cant resolve. I have Debian from knoppix installed. I am trying to open a rar file that i downloaded... It gives me an error saying "rar is not in your path" So i tried to to find files called rar, found one script and copied it over to the usr/bin and then it no longer gave me the error, but the rar archive was empty.... didnt try a second archive yet but if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate them. thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Sep 21 2003, 11:35 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

You need to have the actual release of unrar and rar in order to proceed with using ark like that. To install unrar and rar, as root user, run

apt-get install unrar
apt-get install rar

That should install them and place them in the appropriate places on your system where ark will be able to use them. If you are unfamilier with apt-get, then I suggest you read up on that, dpkg and dselect, they are some of the best utilities for linux.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 12:49 PM