Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Suse Root Wierdness
Job
post Sep 20 2003, 05:49 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,478

Hello, I am running suse 8.2 on a 733mhz desktop.

The events leading to my troubles is as follows:
I was installing some deval packages using yast2 and got the "Resolve conflicting dependancy" window, so I clicked on expert to see what the options were and scrolled the wheel of my mouse. This caused everything to freeze, exept for the mouse but I could'nt click anything or select windows using the mouse or alt+tab. After leaving it for a while to sort things out nothing happened so I hit the restart button.

My problem:
When using my normal user account, su does not recognize my root password. I -can- login as root though, and entering the root password to restart the machine also workes. Under root I created another basic user and loged in as that account. Same results when I tried su.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Sep 20 2003, 07:45 PM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

You might have it set so only certain users in a specific group can use su. Normally this is the wheel user. You might want to add a user to the wheel group and then try using SU.

+Quote Post
Job
post Sep 20 2003, 07:49 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,478

I have used su before normaly before that crash, the problem only showed up afterwards. And also, a new development:
if I lock my screen it doen't accept the password for my user to unlock it. I changed the decryption alogrith away from DES when I first installed, could it be gnome is trying to use a different algorithm to decypt it?

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Sep 21 2003, 10:11 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Turning off power (or the reset button) is VERY, VERY bad in Linux...don't ever do it on purpose except as a very last resort...

Some other things to try besides the power/reset button:

Alt-Ctrl-Del - Can popup a logout window in GUI mode, restarts in Console mode.

Alt-Ctrl-Backspace - exits GUI ... if running a Display Manager, restarts the display manager.

Alt-Ctrl-F2 (F3 or F4) - Takes you to console mode - where you can login as root and kill the hung process or reboot. (Alt-Ctrl-F7 can take you back to GUI).

You may have some corruption in either the /etc/passwd file, the /etc/group file, or the shadow password area ... or it may be something wrong with the YAST configuration file ... maybe even something else (an executable) corrupted in such a way that it can't read the file for lookup.

If the system was critical, I would do a full backup to a new hard drive ... make sure the second hard drive works, then reinstall SUSE as an upgrade on the original disk, which should replace all the executables. I would then upgrade useing yast and see if everything is OK ... if not, or if any configuration files are changed, then you can recover them from the backup disk....

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 12:17 PM