Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mandrake 9.1 And Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb, Problems with installing ATI driver
phinaliumz
post Sep 18 2003, 04:50 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,461

Hi all and thank you for viewing this problem I have.

I am a Linux newbie and I am trying to set my system to work. My system is: Intel Pentium IV 3,06GHz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1gb RAM and Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb.

XFree86 4.3.0 will only work when I set driver to vesa. This ofc isn't enough to run games, like Half-Life. There my problems started. System works fine if I do not try to play games. I installed Wine and had it to work, installed Half-Life, but it was so sucky that I just couldn't play it. After RTFM and browsing Net I found out that I need enable DRI support for XFree86. So I went to ATI site when I dl Linux drivers to 9800 Pro.

I did what install-readme told me to do, and install with "rpm --force fglx*.rpm" since it conflicted with libGL.

After that, driverpack needs kernelsources to build up new module for Radeon. I installed sources from Mandrake install CDs, but driver couldn't find them. I don't remember the exact sentence but it was something like: kernel-sources is 2.4.21mdk, while uname-r gives " "

Well, I though that isn't a problem (how wrong I was). I build driver and installed it. I ran XF86Config, and all seemed to be fine. flgrxinfo told that DRI support is now enabled. I rebooted (being former Windoz user it seemed to make sense), but after that I had "Kernel panic, no init found" unsure.gif

I reinstalled Mandrake in order to get function again. Now into my question (sorry for long post): Would you more experienced users tell newbie how to install new module (which needs kernel-sources) in proper way? So it would work? No kernel panic?
I'm bit unsure to install new kernel from www.kernel.org cos I'm afraid I make same mistake again. Installing Mandrake again reminds me Windoz world too much sad.gif

Thank you for your help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Sep 18 2003, 07:33 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

You should be using fglrx-glc22-4.3.0-1.2.0.i586.rpm ... you probably are.

First, what is your uname -r say.

Mine says:

2.4.21-0.18mdk

So I need to try and find a kernel-source of the same version.....but my current kernel source (use this command to find yours rpm -qa | grep kernel-source.

kernel-source-2.4.21-0.25mdk

so I need to get either kernel-source-2.4.21-0.18mdk or upgrade my kernel to kernel-2.4.21-0.25mdk.

Here is how you can update your Mandrake to the latest updates (this will be all updates, not just the kernel ....). I would only do this if you have broadband and live in North America ... because the source I give is fast to the USA.

First, I set my update location (and even my Original RPMS locations).... like this:

copy the current /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file to a backup (so you can go back later with no problems)...

cp /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg.bak

Now edit the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg and replace it's contents with this:

CODE
updates ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.1/RPMS {
 hdlist: hdlist.updates.cz
 with_hdlist: ../base/hdlist.cz
}

rpms ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS {
 hdlist: hdlist.rpms.cz
 with_hdlist: ../base/hdlist.cz
}

rpms2 ftp://mirrors.secsup.org/pub/linux/mandrake/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS2 {
 hdlist: hdlist.rpms2.cz
 with_hdlist: ../base/hdlist2.cz
}

This will allow you to do updates and install files from mirrors.secsup.org ... I normally download from this site at 230-250 kbs (my max broadband download speed)...

The do the commands to get the latest Mandrake 9.1 updates:

urmpi.update -a

then do this

urpmi --auto-select

You will download and install the latest updates.

You may have to download the kernel and kernel-source seperately .... first check your kernel and kernel-source to see what you have installed like this:

rpm -qa | grep kernel

mine now says:
kernel-2.4.21.0.25mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-source-2.4.21-0.25mdk

You can get the latest kernel and kernel-source (if you don't have it ... and if you changed your urpmi.cfg file) by issuing the following command:

urpmi kernel-2.4.21.0.25mdk kernel-source-2.4.21-0.25mdk

after successful installation, run the command:

lilo

You should see an output that includes something like this:

Added linux
Added linux-nonfb
Added failsafe
Added 2.4.21-18 *
Added 2421-25

In my case the new kernel (2421-25) is not te default boot kernel ... so I need to edit the file /etc/lilo.conf and find the line:

default="2.4.21-18"

I need to change it to this:

default="2421-25"

and then rerun the command:

lilo

and the output now looks like this:

Added linux
Added linux-nonfb
Added failsafe
Added 2.4.21-18
Added 2421-25 *

So the new kernel is now the default boot kernel....

-----------------
Now we need to make sure you have the proper info in /usr/src

cd /usr/src

ls -al | grep linux

you should see something like this:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jul 25 20:50 linux -> linux-2.4.21-0.25mdk/
drwxr-xr-x 18 root root 4096 Aug 18 05:41 linux-2.4.21-0.25mdk/

The bold part is key ... that linux is pointing to linux-2.4.21-0.25mdk/ and that you are going to be booting to the kernel 2.4.21-0.25...

If all is well, reboot and try the install again as you did before....
(you may still have some problems ... the glibc [the c library...that runs all the programs] that the drivers were made for is versin 2.2, but mandrake 9.1 uses 2.3 ...and ATI doesn't include the source code to rebuild everything...).

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
phinaliumz
post Sep 18 2003, 08:33 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,461

hughesjr, thank you for informative post, it nice to know that there are people willing to help. Thank you smile.gif

I will try what you said this evening, when its done I come back and say how it went.

Thanks again smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:29 AM