Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ram
parkerjr2
post Sep 17 2003, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,393

I think that I am not able to load redHat 9 on my machine because I have only 128mb of ram. I have talked to a few people who said that it is just barely not enough ram for the graphical interface. Is the anyway or any program out there that will allow me to make my ram run faster or make my computer think I have more ram by using a small section of the harddrive like a piece of ram?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
panth0r
post Sep 17 2003, 06:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,449

Sorry to tell you, but my friend can and has run a server in gui with 64 MB RAM and using common sense, you can run RH9 with 128 with the gui with few problems just go about the installation as usual, with the settings you want, and it will work fine.

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Sep 17 2003, 10:05 PM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Redhat 9 should install fine on a box with 128mb RAM ... if the processor is slow (350 or less) then it may not be very responsive, but it will install.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
parkerjr2
post Sep 18 2003, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,393

I have done the install several times each time downloading the ISOs from a different location. RedHat 8 works fine on my machine though. Could it be my video card? It has 16mb of memory, an NVIDIA riva tnt2 model 64.

+Quote Post
ctrunk514
post Sep 18 2003, 01:18 PM
Post #5

./configure

Member No.: 902

Im running a 333 with 128 RAM on a box at home with Red Hat 9.0 and it works. The GUI is very, very slow. So slow that starting X is not worth it on that box.

that sucker just chugs way running the seti@home client -- searching for aliens

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Sep 18 2003, 03:20 PM
Post #6

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

Where does it fail in the install?

You can use apt-get to upgrade a redhat 8 install to redhat 9 (If you have a broadband connection ... you will have to download all the updated programs).

If you install the apt-get tool for RH 8.0 from here:
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/8.0/apt/

You want to download the first file ... right now it is apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr0.rh80.1.i386.rpm.

After install, edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list and remark out all the existing lines in the file with a # and then add these 2 lines to the bottom of the file:
CODE
rpm     http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 freshrpms
rpm     http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 os updates

Then save the file and do the following commands:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

after that is all finished, install the latest kernel and kernel-source .... if you have a pentium or better intel processor, use this command to upgrade the kernel

apt-get install kernel#2.4.20-20.9

If everything completes without error, you are now at the latest redhat 9 install from redhat 8....

you should be able to boot into redhat 9

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 01:16 AM