Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dual Boot Windows And Slackware, need help with that, my first linux
ANILALI4U
post Sep 12 2003, 12:38 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,425

well slackware is my first linux and i am trying to dual boot it windows xp .... can i get instructions and prior things that i should know about linux in general and slackware in particular?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Sep 12 2003, 06:16 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

FIrst, if you are a newbie to GNU Linux (and/or UNIX), I would recommend a different version than Slackware unless it is mandatory that you use it. I have nothing against Slackware ... but it is much harder to install and maintian for new users. It is the most UNIX like distrubution of GNU Linux I have seen ... the installer is character based ... the hardware setup is not as easy (both multimedia and sound).

I would recommend you download and burn the RedHat 9.0 CDs (Discs 1-3)[RedHat ISO's (look for a close mirror under the D column)] or Mandrake 9.1 CDs (Discs 1-3) [Mandrake 9.1 ISO].

Wether RedHat, Mandrake, or Slackware ... You need at least 5gb of unpartitioned Hard Disk space (most functional installs with GUI are 2-3 Gb) for Linux (8-10 Gb is better if possible). If you don't have 5-10 gb of unpartitioned hard drive space then you need either a new hard drive (the easiest way) or to repartition your current hard drive (harder).

If installing an unused hard drive is not an option, and you have an already working version of Windows XP installed (and if you need to repartition) then your best bet is Partition Magic to shrink you XP partition and free up 5-10 gb for Linux.

You can also use a program called GNU Parted ... but it doesn't work on NTFS partitions, only FAT32/FAT ... make sure you have a backup before you start. Here are RedHat instructions for using Parted.

Here are some instructions for setting up RedHat 9.0 dual booted with XP.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 05:33 PM