Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Couple General Mandrake 9.1 Questions..., i'll bet you all can answer these!
varg
post Sep 10 2003, 05:26 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,408

greetings all!

i've just installed mandrake 9.1, and i have a couple of bonehead questions:

1) how can i log on as root, so as to have ultimate control over permissions and such?

2) in order to install the proper linux drivers for my geforce 2, i must install Xfree 4.0.1 or higher-- how do i go about doing this?

anyways, i'd greatly appreciate your feedback.

take care,

anthony.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Sep 10 2003, 07:06 AM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hi,

1) log out as your regular user and log back in as root. If thats not avail through their GUI login then hold the control and alt key and then press the f2 key. This will dump you into console (alt f7 to get back to GUI)

2) Mandrake 9.1 comes with XFree86 4.3

+Quote Post
jetblackz
post Sep 10 2003, 12:02 PM
Post #3

./configure

Member No.: 613

I think Mandrake is trying to make users not mess up their systems with full root access by hiding the root account in login menu. Frankly, I do pretty much all my sysadmin in a terminal. Just log in as user and su.

--------------------

+Quote Post
varg
post Sep 11 2003, 05:24 PM
Post #4

1) log out as your regular user and log back in as root. If thats not avail through their GUI login then hold the control and alt key and then press the f2 key. This will dump you into console (alt f7 to get back to GUI)

ahh!-- so that's the trick?!-- i figured i'd have to hit some key sequence!

2) Mandrake 9.1 comes with XFree86 4.3

does it now?-- great!!-- that should make everything much easier on my end.

thanks for the reply; it's much appreciated!

anthony.

+Quote Post
varg
post Sep 11 2003, 05:31 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (jetblackz @ Sep 10 2003, 12:02 PM)
I think Mandrake is trying to make users not mess up their systems with full root access by hiding the root account in login menu. Frankly, I do pretty much all my sysadmin in a terminal. Just log in as user and su.

sounds fair enough to me; i can imagine it's easy to mess a system up if you don't know what you're doing, especially for users who are migrating over from windows.

now, i'm not very familar with linux, so i'm not all that knowledgable regarding the different logins available. form the user control in mandrake, i attempted to create a new user belonging to the 'root' group (seemed pretty similar to NT or XP), but i didn't gain any privilages over files.

i'm sure i'll sound like a beginner here, but that's exactly what i am!-- what is 'user' and 'su'?-- does 'su' stand for 'super user'? (just a random guess) smile.gif

what is the difference between root, user and su, and why do you prefer to do your sysadmin through user and su?

thanks much all; you've not an idea how much i appreciate your input.

take care,

anthony.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 08:02 AM