Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Extreme Newbie Needs Help, Windows doesn't like SuSE
creamcheese
post Sep 2 2003, 09:13 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,366

[FONT=Times]Hi All:

I'm extremely new to Linux, in fact, I just installed it yesterday. So, please bear with me as I don't know the Linux language yet.

Here's the problem:

I have two hard drives. Drive C has Windows 98 installed on it. Yesterday, I installed SuSE Linux 7.2 on drive D. During the installation I opted to have the system boot from a floppy. The installation went well and I spent a few hours exploring SuSE. Then I shut SuSE down and rebooted to Windows. Now the nightmare begins...

Windows was crashing everywhere. My Computer and Windows Explorer wouldn't load and would freeze up the system, but I eventually got into the Control Panel via the start button. I finally made it to the Device Manager/Performance and discovered a line that read:

"Compatibility Mode Paging reduces overall system performance"
(Yeah, no kidding)

Then today, when I went into Windows I got this message in its place:

"Some drives are using MS-DOS compatibility"

On both days, this line appeared in the text box:

"Drive D: is using an MS-DOS compatibility mode file system"

I'm not really sure what that means but I have to assume that SuSE installed something in the boot sector that Windows doesn't like as Windows was working perfectly fine before I installed SuSE.

BTW, I went into the Windows Registry to see if "NOIDE" was present but it wasn't.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and how I can fix it without having to fdisk SuSE?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 11:20 PM