Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Windowmaker And Rh9
sandberg
post Aug 30 2003, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,359

Hi there,

I am running RedHat 9.0 and I have been curious to try WindowMaker for awhile so I thought I'd give a go this weekend. First I downloaded the source rpm. Seems that when I try to run it nothing happens. So then I downloaded just the plain source tarball and extracted that. When I do ./configure I get some output then an error saying: configure: error: The path for the X11 files not found!
Make sure you have X and it's headers and libraries (the -devel packages
in Linux) installed.

So I looked for more information on installing WindowMaker (including the docs that came with the source). Seems there isn't much in the way of info for redhat 9.0 or any version of redhat. Next I downloaded the WindowMaker rpm, that doesn't work either. Even if it did I'm not sure how to go about adding another window manager in redhat. I've done this before with fluxbox and blackbox but with slackware and debian. I just started using redhat a couple of months ago.

Anyway, getting kind of frustrated with this. Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
sandberg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Aug 31 2003, 08:03 PM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

What sort of errors do you get when you install the binary rpm?

Do you have the XFree86-devel rpm packages installed? That is likely what the tarball is looking for.

Here are some links to some different RPM's for windowmaker.

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear....&system=&arch=

You can't install .src.rpm's without rebuilding them so just stick to the ones that end in .i386 etc.

+Quote Post
sandberg
post Aug 31 2003, 10:14 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,359

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I have the right binary rpm for WindowMaker. I'll check out the link and get a new one. Not sure if I have the package(s) you mentioned. I'll check and post back.
thanks again

sandberg

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 11:58 AM