Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Terminal Stopped Working After Adding Harddrive
umbabaru
post Aug 29 2003, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,352

I just added a hard drive to my system (it's an old one, with 2 windows partitions and 2 ext3 partitions). That's working fine; strange thing is, now for non-root users, the terms don't work. Terminal fires up but just sits there with a blinking cursor -- no prompt. BUT for root, everything works fine.

Any ideas?

I'm running RH9 (2.4.20).

More detail: I had an old dual boot system, and I took it's harddrive and put it in a different system as the slave drive. Set up fstab appropriately. If I disconnect the drive, everything works okay (except the expected error messages on boot related to the missing drive). But if I connect the drive and log in as someone besides root, I can't get a terminal open, but things like file manager etc work fine.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Aug 31 2003, 08:09 PM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Check your log files in /var/log to see if there are any error messages reported behind the scenes. It sounds like maybe /home/ is no longer accessible or something so the regular users cannot log in or something like that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 02:38 AM