Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ethernet Woes, Hardware trouble with ethernet drivers
Hawk
post Aug 27 2003, 10:13 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,328

Hi,

I'm new to Linux and recently installed RH9. I have a P4P800 motherboard, and I installed the linux drivers for the onboard gigabit ethernet device. I use a DHCP server (I'm on a college network) and everything worked fine for my ethernet card for a while...until I rebooted.

Now that I rebooted it could not initialize the device eth0. I had to go back in and run the makefile again and install the module again. I rebooted again and had to run through the procedure of installed the module (the makefile did the insmod command). Why would I have to continually install the module everytime I reboot? (I rebooted properly)

-Hawk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 27 2003, 12:20 PM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

you shouldn't have to remake the module ... but you do need to tell the module to load...which is what insmod does

the easy way would be to edit your /etc/modules.conf file and either add (or edit) the eth0 line to look like this:

alias eth0 modulename

(substitute the module name that you made for the above modulename

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 12:54 PM