Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has My Suse Box Gone Nuts.
rfburnhertz
post Aug 24 2003, 03:19 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,311

Moments ago I entered my saved images directory to send one off in email.

The only images showing up correctly are *.png.

Gif.jpg and jpeg all show up as desktop config files and give the following error when I click on them:

"The desktop entry file /home/warnick/Images/paidinfull.gif has no Type=... entry."

They were all as they should be not 20 min ago.
I was not loged in as root and all i was doing was surfuring the internet.

About two hours ago I did install a new KDE theme, though I don't know how that could cause such a situation.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
RF
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 24 2003, 07:15 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

The problem is with your MIME types ... Your .jpg/.jpeg extensions are being opened by the wrong program.

Login as a different user and see if it's all users or just your current user....

In KDE on Mandrake (I don't have KDE on my SUSE test box), you can adjust this by using the Menu - Configuration - KDE - Components - File Associations ... just open the images section, click on jpg (jpeg) and see what programs open the pictures ... and remove the one that's not a picture viewer...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
rfburnhertz
post Aug 24 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (hughesjr @ Aug 24 2003, 07:15 AM)
The problem is with your MIME types ... Your .jpg/.jpeg extensions are being opened by the wrong program.

Login as a different user and see if it's all users or just your current user....

In KDE on Mandrake (I don't have KDE on my SUSE test box), you can adjust this by using the Menu - Configuration - KDE - Components - File Associations ... just open the images section, click on jpg (jpeg) and see what programs open the pictures ... and remove the one that's not a picture viewer...

Hi hughesjr,
thanks for the reply. But, this doesn't seem to be the problem.

I agree it seems clear the extensions are being opened by the wrong program. But as to why i am not sure.

I did take your suggestion, here is what i found.
.gif = Kuick show, Pixie Plus (express mode), Pixie Plus (image manager), Kview and Gimp.
.jpg and .jpeg are the same but also include Kicon Edit.

If I go directly to my image directory and attempt to open an image i get the error I posted before. But if I open a graphics program go to file -> open -> and then to the image directory I can open the image that way no problem (except in Pixie Plus, in which i have the same problem as if I go right to the directory).

Anyway, I don't get it.
Any more ideas?
Thanks again for your reply.
RF

P.S. I did go into another user as you suggested and did not experiance the same problem. I compared file associations and found everything to be exactly the same as the user experiancing the problem.

+Quote Post
rfburnhertz
post Aug 24 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #4

Okay, go figure.

I had my image directory open on my #3 desktop. Switched back over there to close it, and everything was back as it should be!?

I changed nothing, the only thing I did was go into Gimp and attempt to view the images there by going
file -> open -> and then selecting an image (which I told you worked).

But no actual changes were made and I don't see how such an action as opening Gimp would have made a difference.

blink.gif

RF

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 25 2003, 05:34 AM
Post #5

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

All my programs work correctly in gnome (redhat 9) if I have gimp open in desktop 3 (even the jpg file I had open in GIMP could be opened on desktop 1)... let me change to my Mandrake / KDE machine.

I also opened Gimp in desktop 3 on KDE in Makdrake and konqueror opened jpg files fine on desktop 1 ... even the files that were open in Gimp on desktop 3...

I'm not sure what the problem was ... maybe the open program (gimp) was updated while open and the X needed to be restarted?

I have never seen that problem before.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
rfburnhertz
post Aug 26 2003, 07:12 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (hughesjr @ Aug 25 2003, 05:34 AM)
All my programs work correctly in gnome (redhat 9) if I have gimp open in desktop 3 (even the jpg file I had open in GIMP could be opened on desktop 1)... let me change to my Mandrake / KDE machine.

I also opened Gimp in desktop 3 on KDE in Makdrake and konqueror opened jpg files fine on desktop 1 ... even the files that were open in Gimp on desktop 3...

I'm not sure what the problem was ... maybe the open program (gimp) was updated while open and the X needed to be restarted?

I have never seen that problem before.

Yeah, it was a bit strange.

I appreciate your help.

RF

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 06:15 AM