Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Help Installing Driver, How do you do this??
robbmcmahan
post Aug 17 2003, 11:33 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,230

Ok,

I have a new install of Mandrake 9.1 and trying to install a driver to make my Intel CS330 webcam work with gnomemeeting.

I found a driver and downloaded it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/spca50x/.

It has one file in it called "spca50x.o"

I also found a How-To located at http://www.ultrasoul.com/~lukewarm/spca50x/HOWTO

The directions speak of compiling the driver by source and using:

# Compile the driver from source
make KINCLUDE=/usr/src/linux/include

Ok....Now i'm lost. When I un-tar this file spca50x.o, what directory am I suppose to un-tar it to?????? What directory am I suppose to run this commmand (make KINCLUDE=/usr/src/linux/include) from????

Can somone please tell me step by step what I'm suppose to do. It looks like this how-to left out a bunch of steps......at least for a newbie like me.

Thanks guys!!

Robb
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 18 2003, 05:51 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

OK ... the file you have is already compiled ... it is the module file.

It probably is dependant on lots of things that you may not have loaded...What you need to do is download the Source files and compile them against your specific kernel:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/spca50x...tar.gz?download

Before compiling the the above driver, you will need to download the kernel-source for your current Mandrake kernel. To see if you already have kernel-source installed, use the command (at a terminal window):

rpm -qa | grep kernel

You will get all your kernel packages installed (including kernel-source if installed).

You can add kernel source (if necessary) by going to Mandrake Control Center, opening Software Managment and then opening RpmDrake +. I select all packages, alphabetical, then select kernel-sources for the kernel you have (ie if your kernel is 2.4.21.xxxx you get the 2.4.21.xxxx kernel-sources).

Before you start you will also need to copy the config file from your current kernel to the directory /usr/src/linux ... like this

cp /boot/config-2.4.21-0.18mdk /usr/src/linux/.config

Then change directories to /usr/src/linux and type the commands:

make oldconfig

then

make dep

Now you are ready to follow the directions of the driver installation program:

Here are instructions:
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.p...lease_id=144949

(you are ready to start after the 'make [config|menuconfig|xconfig]; make dep' line in the Compiling it section...

The ultrasoul directions you have are Debian specific and won't work with Mandrake...

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
robbmcmahan
post Aug 18 2003, 12:20 PM
Post #3

I'm still lost.....

Thanks for the help but you still didn't tell me where i'm suppose to untar this "o" file that you said is the module. Where am I suppose to put it before I recompile the kernel? I have to put it somewhere and the readme doessn't say!?

What part of the ultra soul instructions are you speficially talking about that won't work with Mandrake?

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 18 2003, 01:15 PM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

What I am saying is that you don't need to download the module at all ... you need to build the module using the download and instructions in my other post. You are going to build a new module that will be installed when you do the command make install as part of the instructions...

The module you downloaded was built using a specific kernel ... and it will only work with that specific kernel ... and the chances are, it is not your kernel....so instead, you will download the kernel source, the driver source and build a new module (for your kernel) per the site instructions.

The parts that are not applicable from the Debian instructions are:

There is no /etc/modules ... there is no apt-get .... you don't need to do KINCLUDE ....

....basically, just use the instructions I included as a link instead of the Debian instructions.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
robbmcmahan
post Aug 18 2003, 01:42 PM
Post #5

Ok, THanks! Now i understand.

One other question about this..

In the other instructions it mentions somthing about Video4Linux. Is that somthing I need to download and compile too?

THanks

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 18 2003, 01:47 PM
Post #6

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Video for Linux is a Kernel Module ... it is normally already set as a Module in Kernel options ... so you shouldn't have to do anything with v4l.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 11:50 AM