Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Password, More specifically root...
nexus
post Aug 7 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,223

A long time ago I installed linux and never really used it. Now I have to use it and am growing rather fond of it. But the problem is I forgot my root password. I looked up a bunch of tutorials on getting it back and it doesnt seem to work. Im running linux mandrake 8.2 with a lilo boot up. What I did so far was start up linux, go into fail safe and log in as single user mode. Than I used the command passwd, changed the password. It said it was successful. So I logged in as my normal account (nexus) went to shell, typed in login than root and than the new password and it didnt work. Anyways, went back to single user mode and tried passwd root, than typed in the new password, it said it worked but once again didnt. Than I tried passwd root -d, deleted the password, reput it in with passwd root, and once again, did the same thing. Now Im completely lost, and really want my root password back so I can configure stuff (such as my sound) and whatnot. Any help is greatly appreciated smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nexus
post Aug 7 2003, 11:00 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,223

I think I fixed my problem.... because when I went to log into Terminal and it prompted me for my root password it let me in. Also when I type su in shell it let me log in too. But when I type login and user name root it wont let me.... hmm... I dunno, but I think my problems fixed
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 05:44 PM