Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scripting To Correct Double Time On Hyper-threaded, scripting to correct double time
r3n0
post Aug 7 2003, 10:29 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,219

Hi All

Have a new dedicated server that is hyper-theard enabled, as a result the system time is running at double speed!!!

The providers are trying to sort this but mean time it's making my logs unusable.

Does anyone have an idea how I might use cron and date or anything else to reset the system time.

I was thingking of somehting like a cron.hourly that would make the system time = system time - one hour. But I have no knowledge of programming cron jobs and don't know where to start.

Any ideas greatly apprciated.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 7 2003, 11:10 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

what kernel are you using ... most 2.4.17 (or higher) SMP kernels should work fine with hyper-thread processors....

Here is some info:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linu.../?ca=dgr-lnxw01

Is this a linux or a system bios issue? Can you go to the bios and let it set for 10-20 miuntes and see what happens with the BIOS time ?

This post has been edited by hughesjr: Aug 7 2003, 11:22 AM

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 7 2003, 11:13 AM
Post #3

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

your best option would be to use ntp, because it makes automatic adjustments as necessary to maintain the current time.

What distro are you using?

(NTP connects to time servers and adjusts your clock based on the time server ... there are many public NTP servers all over the world ... most distros include NTP ... here is more info).

http://www.ntp.org/

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 03:28 AM