Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problem With Compiling 2.6 Kernel, weird problem
blackphiber
post Aug 6 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #1

Grub-er

Group: Members
Member No.: 388

i am using this guide to help me get the 2.6 kernel up and running. i got to make modules and it goes for abit and tells me:

CODE
In file included from drivers/char/riscom8.c:51:
drivers/char/riscom8.h:84: field `tqueue' has incomplete type
drivers/char/riscom8.h:85: field `tqueue_hangup' has incomplete type
drivers/char/riscom8.c:84: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `DECLARE_TASK_QUEUE'
drivers/char/riscom8.c:84: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
drivers/char/riscom8.c:135: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
make[2]: *** [drivers/char/riscom8.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/char] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

any idea on what i can/should do? Should I file this in the 2.6 kernel bugzilla thingy? thanks!

edit: this is test2 on red hat 9
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 7 2003, 12:37 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

If you go to the Character Devices (in make menuconfig or wat ever you are using), you should be able to see what riscom8 means and then unselect it and start over with the compiles (...a make clean, edit the kernel, make dep, make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install)....

I probably wouldn't hurt to report it....

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
blackphiber
post Aug 7 2003, 12:39 AM
Post #3

Grub-er

thanks! I am doing make modules again. that thing was for something with multiple serial ports i think, i will try to file a bug report later.

+Quote Post
blackphiber
post Aug 7 2003, 02:12 AM
Post #4

Grub-er

sorry i am asking all this but i am sure having tons of troubles. now I get this error:
CODE
drivers/char/isicom.c:83: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `DECLARE_TASK_QUEUE'
drivers/char/isicom.c:83: warning: parameter names (without types) in function declaration
drivers/char/isicom.c:83: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
drivers/char/isicom.c: In function `ISILoad_ioctl':
drivers/char/isicom.c:158: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
drivers/char/isicom.c:163: warning: comparison of distinct pointer types lacks a cast
drivers/char/isicom.c: In function `schedule_bh':
drivers/char/isicom.c:359: warning: implicit declaration of function `queue_task'
drivers/char/isicom.c:359: `tq_isicom' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/char/isicom.c:359: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
drivers/char/isicom.c:359: for each function it appears in.)
drivers/char/isicom.c:360: warning: implicit declaration of function `mark_bh'
drivers/char/isicom.c:360: `ISICOM_BH' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/char/isicom.c: In function `do_isicom_bh':
drivers/char/isicom.c:488: warning: implicit declaration of function `run_task_queue'
drivers/char/isicom.c:488: `tq_isicom' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/char/isicom.c: In function `isicom_interrupt':
drivers/char/isicom.c:587: warning: implicit declaration of function `schedule_task'
drivers/char/isicom.c:653: structure has no member named `tqueue'
drivers/char/isicom.c:653: `tq_timer' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/char/isicom.c:691: structure has no member named `tqueue'
drivers/char/isicom.c: In function `isicom_open':
drivers/char/isicom.c:975: warning: unused variable `flags'
drivers/char/isicom.c: In function `isicom_init':
drivers/char/isicom.c:1810: warning: implicit declaration of function `init_bh'
drivers/char/isicom.c:1810: `ISICOM_BH' undeclared (first use in this function)
drivers/char/isicom.c:1824: structure has no member named `routine'
drivers/char/isicom.c:1826: structure has no member named `routine'
drivers/char/isicom.c: In function `cleanup_module':
drivers/char/isicom.c:1959: warning: implicit declaration of function `remove_bh'
drivers/char/isicom.c:1959: `ISICOM_BH' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [drivers/char/isicom.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [drivers/char] Error 2
make: *** [drivers] Error 2

I looked up isicom on google and only has rpms with no descriptions. Thanks for helping me before, yes I am going to file a report on both of these errors, i am not a programmer so i don't know what to do. Please help again. thanks

btw. i just found both these in bugzilla, http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=153
and http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283

i opened them up but i have no idea what i am doing (defineing a variable???) i will leave it to the pros like Linus

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 7 2003, 06:52 AM
Post #5

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

there is no make dep with the 2.6 test kernel ... you probably already figured that out...

I had many problems with compiling the 2.6.0test2 kernel as well...

just keep removing the modules that won't compile and try again ... it is a very early test kernel and not at all stable.......

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 7 2003, 01:35 PM
Post #6

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

I just had a good compile on my redhat 8 machine using the command:

make CC=gcc296 bzImage

make CC=gcc296 modules

make CC=gcc296 modules_install

--------------------
This option requires that you have compat-gcc and compat-gcc-c++ installed ... I don't have access to RedHat 9 box right now, so I don't know if gcc296 is the compat compiler for RH9. If you do a rpm -qa | grep compat (assuming compat-gcc is installed) you will see the version to use for gcc ... here is the output from my redhat 8 server:

compat-gcc-c++-7.3-2.96.110
compat-gcc-g77-7.3-2.96.110
compat-libgcj-7.3-2.96.110
compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.110
compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.110
compat-libstdc++-devel-7.3-2.96.110
compat-gcc-java-7.3-2.96.110
compat-libgcj-devel-7.3-2.96.110
compat-gcc-objc-7.3-2.96.110

so I use gcc296 .....

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net

+Quote Post
blackphiber
post Aug 7 2003, 03:46 PM
Post #7

Grub-er

i don't have any compat-gcc so I will try to hunt down isicom in menuconfig. thanks though, its very much appreciated. How do you like the new test2 kernel?

+Quote Post
blackphiber
post Aug 7 2003, 08:23 PM
Post #8

Grub-er

got it now but when I go to boot it says:
uncompressing Linux, Ok booting the kernel

and it just sits there. any idea what I can do? thanks again

found this: http://www.spinics.net/lists/kernel/msg196770.html looks like I have to recompile again. 'Solution: By default, the display is not enabled. (Weird!!!)
So use 'make menuconfig' to enable them.'

so i am going to remove it all and wait a bit till the final release. nice to see that all the bugs i ran into were already in bugzilla. bye

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 8 2003, 11:07 AM
Post #9

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Ok,

I have a good kernel compile using gcc 3.2 ... but I don't have my network or sound cards working yet. Here's how I got it...

Download the kernel from kernel.org ... (as a side note, patch snapshots are taken almost daily and put here: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/ , just download the patch-2.6.0-test2-bkx.gz (substitute the latest number for x, unzip it and move it to the /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test2 directory and then go into the /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test2 directory and type the command:

patch -p1 < patch-2.6.0-test2-bkx

to apply the latest patch snapshot ... you can just apply the latest patch ... so you don't need to do 1 then 2 then 3 ... if you applied 1 and now the latest is 8, just apply it over the existing source....
----------------
There are some pre made configuration files that can be generated ... and then modified with menuconfig (or xconfig) ... if you type the command (from within the /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test2 directory) make help, you can see the options that can be used ...

One option is defconfig ... and it preconfigures a default kernel that will boot on a p4 machine ... with IDE and ext2, ext3, reiser file systems...

To use this option, back up your current /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test2/.config file and do the following (from within the /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-test2 directory):

make mrproper
make defconfig
make menuconfig

Select the options you want to add .... specifically, if you are not configuring on a p4, change the processor type...

make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0-test2
cp .config /boot/config-2.6.0-test2

Then edit your /etc/lilo.conf (or /boot/grub/menu.lst) to add a new kernel to boot from...

I'm having a problem with QM_MODULES right now ... so no modules are loading, but I'm sure it is an easy fix.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 01:34 AM