Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Writing To A Linux Share From Windows
Gzzrt
post Aug 5 2003, 10:50 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,203

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can give a windows user full rights to a directory on a linux box? I want to be able to write to a directory on my linux box from another machine on the network. I'm running Mandrake 9.1 as my linux box. As far as windows clients connecting I'm using Win98/Win2000/WinXP on my windows boxes. My network is fully functional already. All of my windows sharing works fine with not a problem in site. (Keeping in mind these are windows boxes and what works today, may not work tomorrow.) My windows box and my linux box can both see each other. I have configured my linux box to have a proper name and to be in the right workgroup. I've setup a share and set read/write permissions on it. I've created a group on the linux box and added my windows user to that group. I've manually set the permissions on the share to 777.

Basically at this point I'm able to access the linux box from my windows box and see the share. I can enter the share and see whatever files/folders are in it. However whenever I try to paste something from my windows box into it or create a new directory in it, I get the following message:

Cannot copy "filename": Access is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I've checked throught the forums here and checked the faq. So far all I've found is how to setup a network and how to mount windows shares in linux and vice versa. Nothing has said how to give me read/write access to a Linux share. If anyone has any suggestions on this it would be greatly appreciated as I would like to replace my windows file server with a linux one, but I kind of need read/write access in order to do that.

Thanx in advance.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a Light side and a Dark side and it holds the universe together.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ctrunk514
post Aug 6 2003, 03:26 PM
Post #2

./configure

Member No.: 902

Could this have somthing to do with the password file for samba?
Have you looked into how that should be set up?

err....what do I know, Im a newbe for life.

+Quote Post
Gzzrt
post Aug 6 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Member No.: 1,203

It might, but I'm not sure where to look for that and as far as I can tell my configuration should be ok. I used the webmin part of Mandrake 9.1 and all of the other settings worked great. Just can't write to a share on my linux box.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a Light side and a Dark side and it holds the universe together.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 10:33 PM