Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Linux Hang On Pcmcia Eject Action, Ejecting WLAN PCMCIA card causes hang
judall
post Aug 4 2003, 09:18 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,194

I am trying to run Mandrake 9.1 on my IBM T22 laptop. I have numerous problems, but here is the first:

I am using a Netgear WLAN PCMCIA card for network access. This works fine. However, if I try to eject it, it causes Linux to hang. I can insert it and cardmgr recognizes it and loads the appropriate drivers. After tracing cardmgr actions, I can discern upon ejection that it invokes the script "./network stop eth1" then hangs. I presume it then hangs when it tries to unload the drivers.

However, if I manually execute "./network stop eth1", then eject the card, the OS remains up and running.

Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Aug 4 2003, 11:12 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

This sounds like a bug .... searching the net reveals this happens with alot of cards.

I think the problem is that the network script doesn't know how to handle the hardware not being there. When it tries to shutdown ... so if you can run the script first then remove the card, it would be good smile.gif

Are you using yenta_socket or cs-pcmcia to control the PCMCIA slot?

I newer kernel might work better with hotswapping PCMCIA....The next release of Mandrake 9.2 beta is supposed to use the 2.6 kernel ... but I wouldn't try an upgrade on an important machine

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 10:40 PM