Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Partition Xp To Run Linux, partition xp to run linux
pbauer
post Aug 2 2003, 04:00 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,183

need help with the following: I am running windows xp home and would like to partition my harddrive ( 27 GB ) to run mandrake linux 9.1
how can I safely do that without endangering my xp system ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xeiliex
post Aug 2 2003, 09:34 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,079

all solutions for this are slightly risky. i went and got a copy of partition magic and used that.

you should be able to shrink the partition with Mandrake installer. but before you attempt this *DEFRAG* with the ms version and/or find a non Ms utility and derag you drve using that. you need by 100% sure you drive is not fragmented. Also you drive needs to be fat partition, ntfs wont work. run check disk and/scan disk to make sure all your files are ok

unless your skilled with fdisk or one of its close cousins, I'd avoid it like the plague.

this all i can remember from went i did it, not to scare you but you always at risk with this type of operation......if you have any files that are super important i stress the need to back up everything!

+Quote Post
Joey
post Aug 2 2003, 10:33 AM
Post #3

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

What do you mean NFTS wont work? I've resized my NTFS partitions tons of times.

Xeiliex, defrag through windows and then just grab partition magic and repartition the sucker. Let the mandrake install do the rest.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 05:19 AM