Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ip Address Auto, Networking
bobs
post Jul 28 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,164

Using Red Hat Ver 6.1. Am attempting to connect to cable network via a LINKSYS router. Have a separate computer system operational via LINKSYS using Windows. Wish to connect my Linux system to same network. LINKSYS requires the option " OBTAIN AN 'IP' ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY." (LINKSYS does not support Linux)
Can this be done in Linux, and, if so, how?????? bob
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jul 31 2003, 05:24 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

yes .... that is using DHCP.

Linux also uses DHCP to obtain addresses (you can select it on install) ... however, unless you must use RedHat version 6.1, I would recommend a newer version of Linux.

You can download and burn RedHat 9.0 iso's for free ...

The newer versions are much better at properly detecting and setting up hardware, have a much nicer look and feel, and are much easier to maintain updated. (RedHat no longer provides official support or security patches for any version older than RedHat Linux 7.3.)

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post
ctrunk514
post Jul 31 2003, 10:18 AM
Post #3

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 902

what kind of Linksys router are you using?

I have a linksys (BEFN2PE) and have used a few other Linksys router modles. I am and have always been able to use static IP addresses. You should not have to use DHCP (if you don't want to). The linksys router does not have any idea what is connecting to it

Hmmm.....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 05:27 PM