Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Do To Repair The Kde Desktop ?
lightarmy
post Jul 26 2003, 03:03 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 324

HI!!:D
I have just installed Red hat 9.0 on my computer and when I tired to configure the overall look of my KDE desktop, it msyteriously crashed. When i tired to re log in again, there is only a blue screen. No panels or anything else is present .

Currently my gnome desktop is working , but , all my KDE related programs seem to have crashed with the desktop as well, for example Kdevelop and kate.

SO my question now is , how can repair my KDE desktop?

If I can't repair the corrrupt files, how can I uninstall and install it again ? I think I have an idea of how to re - install it through the " add packages program ".
However , I am totally lost on how to uninstall it via gnome or some other avenues.

Any help or suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated !!!!
smile.gif

looking forward to a reply!
Thanks !!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Jul 26 2003, 09:26 AM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Can you give us more details on the crash? What exactly were you doing at the time? When you said that you logged in again, how did you go about doing thtat? Did it crash X and you were dumped to the command line and then you ran startx or did you reboot the computer etc?

You can uninstall the packages by running rpm -e packagename

To get a list of kde packages you can run rpm -qa |grep kde

+Quote Post
lightarmy
post Jul 27 2003, 02:49 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 324

I was actually adjusting colours and wallpapers in the "control centre " of the KDE ...and it just crashed.... no message was displayed ... all the panels disappeared and a blue screen remained .

I logged out using Ctrl +atl + backspace and when i logged in again , the blue screen remained.

However , i do remember one time when i tried logging in again after i had rebooted , there was a message saying something about "segev error"... or something of that sort . I did not finish reading it before that message also disappeared leaving me with a blue screen .

I think i will try to remove all the packages and reinstall them again in the next few days when i am more free. If you happened to have a better suggestion , please do post .

thanks for your help!!!

cheers mate!

+Quote Post
hughesjr
post Jul 29 2003, 04:31 AM
Post #4

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,151

I don't use KDE (I like gnome better smile.gif )...but I would first check and see if it is a profile problem or a problem with all KDE users...do that by trying to login as another user with KDE. If it is a problem only with one user, login as that user (in gnome) and remove the .kde files in thier home directory...you can do that using nautilus, just double click on the User's Home and then go to the menu Edit and select Preferences ... then check show hidden and backup files.

Then in the user's home directory, select and delete the .kde directories and files.

then try to login again as that user with KDE ... the KDE wizard should start to allow you to reselect the default options...
----------------------------------------------------------------

If you get the same thing, probably some of the KDE program files are not working, so I would remove and reinstall KDE in this case.

I like to use apt-get as my command line package installer for RedHat 9. It allows you to stay up to date with security patches, and easily install other programs (even ones that are not included on the original RedHat cd's).

Synaptic is a graphical package manager that uses a GUI to run apt-get.

if you would like to download apt-get / synaptic ... go here:

http://apt.freshrpms.net/

and click on your version of RedHat ... then download the latest version of apt ... right now it's apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm for RedHat 9.

Then (as root) use the command (from the download directory where you put apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm) to install apt-get:

rpm -Uhv apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm

Once apt-get is installed, you can do this to update your system to the latest RedHat patches (except kernels):

to update the local apt-get database, in a terminal window (as root) type:
apt-get update

to update all the files on redhat ... after running apt-get update use (in a terminal as root) this command:
apt-get dist-upgrade

Now to install synaptic, use the command (as root in a terminal window):

apt-get install synaptic

Synaptic will then be in your menu system under System Settings ... or you can just type (from a terminal window as root):

synaptic

----------------------
With synaptic, go to View on the menu and select Flat List and then type kde in the Find Package window and press return....

Synaptic will show you all the KDE packages and which ones you have installed ... they will have a version number in the Installed column ... anything with a blank installed column is available to be downloaded ... but not installed on your machine.

Then you can remove all the installed packages with synaptic (highlight the packages and click the - remove button ... then reinstall the packages and see if that helps...
--------------------
If you want to try it without synaptic, then you can use the command:

rpm -qa | grep kde

to show a list of all kde packages installed. Then print (or write down) all the packages and type:

rpm -e package1 package2

(substitute all the package names in after the -e). There will undoubtably be many other packages that require kde installed ... you can either remove all those as well ... (add them after the -e ... the safest choice), or use a:

rpm -e --nodeps package1

to do the remove....

Then put in your RedHat cd, mount it (if it doesn't automount), and go to /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS to install the KDE programs ... some are on disk 1 others on disk 2.

The command would be:

rpm -Uvh package1 package2.

Then you need to update the programs (if you have used up2date in the past).
---------------------------------------------
BUT ... I would use synaptic instead ... it manages all the dependancies ... just write down all the programs it uninstalls so you can reinstall them.

--------------------
Johnny Hughes
hughesjr@linuxhelp.net
Enterprise Alternatives: CentOS, WhiteBoxEL
Favorite Workstation Distros (in order): CentOS, Gentoo, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Slackware, SUSE
Favorite Server Distros (in order): CentOS, WhiteBoxEL, Debian Sarge, Slackware, Mandrake, FedoraCore, Gentoo, SUSE

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 03:47 PM