Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rpm Help
Gardapthia
post Jul 23 2003, 05:35 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,143

Hi, I am new here and fairly new to Linux smile.gif.

I have installed a couple RPMs that I have downloaded(Wine and Winamp), but have yet to figure out how to launch them. I was wanting to create launch icons for them, but have no idea how to go about finding the executable files in Linux to create one with the "create launcher" command. Is there a graphical utility that can be used to view the installed files in Linux? I am using the GNOME desktop if that helps to know.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Jul 23 2003, 05:46 PM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

If you are serious about learning linux etc do yourself a favor and become familiar with the command line / shell prompt first.

In order to run one must first learn to walk..

In the command line/shell prompt, run the following command as root:

updatedb

This will create/update a database of all files on your system. Once it has finished running (it could take a while) you can then use the locate command to find files and directories.

Lets say you wanted to find the command/executable called perl.

You could run:

locate perl

Now since there are a lot of files/directories with the word "perl" in it, you will get back a ton of results. Most of the executables in linux are in bin directories, for example:

/bin
/usr/bin
/usr/local/bin
/usr/sbin
/usr/local/sbin
/usr/X11/bin

etc etc

What you can do in the case of looking for perl is run the following:

locate perl | grep bin

This will run the locate command and only show you the results with the word perl and bin

Anyhow once youve found the executable you should be able to add it to the gnome launcher. I'm not sure what distribution of linux you are running but if you are running redhat you can right mouse click on the gnome panel and click on "Add To Panel" and then "Add Launcher".

Hope this helps,

+Quote Post
Medic6666
post Jul 25 2003, 06:26 AM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 535

I dont want to be funny, but.....

If you are using the GUI why do you not use the find option in the gnome menu?

Additional: I did'nt know there was a Linux version of winamp??? are you sure your not trying to install XMMS?

I am new to this as well and something that has saved my life smile.gif is apt-get. This is a program from the heavens.

you can get it here: http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/

Follow the instructions and it is easy to install. Once installed you can install programs and apt will check for and install any dependencys. Its not completly fool proof but so far has had everything I've needed.

If all else fails there is google.

Good luck and welcome

Medic6666

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 05:52 PM