Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crontab And Url Alias, Help needed on crontab and URL alias
jupiterorbit
post Jul 15 2003, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

I'm using RedHat 7.
I've just set up my first crontab. It reads as follows:

55 * * * * /path/to/my/shell/script.sh

I believe this will run my script every fifty fifth minute of every hour, every day. Correct? I've saved the file and I'm notified that the crontab is set. Do I need to do anything else to activate it? It doesn't seem to be running. I created the crontab using a non-root user. The shell script is owned/group owned by the same owner/group as the crontab.

Secondly, I send out emails which contain very large URL's which wrap on to multiple lines. When that URL is clicked on it obviously messes up as the email client just converts the first line in to a hyper link, leaving the rest of the URL unhighlighted. To get around this, I wanted to set up URL alias. i.e. a shorter URL which when clicked upon will redirect to the actual, long URL. How do you do this on apache/red hat linux 7?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joey
post Jul 15 2003, 09:21 AM
Post #2

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Correct that will run at 55 past every hour every day. You might have to restart crond for it to pick up on your changes (/etc/init.d/crond restart) You might want to check /var/log/cron to see if there are any errors running the script.

For the redirect just create a sub directory and put a meta refresh in it.

ie: http://www.example.com/shorturl/

Info on the meta refresh can be found at http://www.pageresource.com/html/metref.htm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2017 - 11:09 PM