Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mandrake 9.1 Rookie Questions..., setting up my pcmcia nic
Lin-Noobie
post Jul 9 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,060

Hello all. I had Mandrake 9.0 installed on my laptop, mainly to fool with until I decided to take the plunge and delete XP off of it for good. I think Mandrake 9.1 is the distro that'll finally let me do that - easy for a noob like me.

Anyway, on to the stupid question... unsure.gif

When I was running 9.0, I could log out as a normal user and log in as the root/admin and do my sinful business. Now that I have 9.1 installed, I can't do that anymore. Basically, how do I get back to the root/admin level? I'm trying to update my /etc/pcmcia/config file to include my nic (which isn't listed, but Belkin claims will work) and keep getting an error about write permissions. Very frustrating because I KNOW it's a silly thing I'm overlooking. mad.gif

Anyway, thanks in advance, gents. Look forward to your answers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lin-Noobie
post Jul 9 2003, 12:27 PM
Post #2

BTW tourettes, awesome strong bad pic!

+Quote Post
Lin-Noobie
post Jul 9 2003, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Ok, this appears to have nothing to do with the root/admin. I opened a console and entered SU and logged in as root that way (just needed to read ahead a bit). Anyway, I still get the same error when trying to save the /etc/pcmcia/config file from KWrite - The file could not be saved. Please check if you have write permission. ???

+Quote Post
Joey
post Jul 9 2003, 02:06 PM
Post #4

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

If you are running kwrite as your regular user then you wont be able to modify the file.

Just open up a shell/terminal and use 'su - root' then modify the file. pico/vi are your best friends.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 08:02 PM