Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ntpd - Network Time Protocol, All too complicated
giblet
post Jun 27 2003, 05:44 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 941

I have an old P90 running rh8 as a firewall. I want to set up NTPD to keep the system clock accurate but I can't find a simple description of how to do it, just reams of information on all of the different options.

I don't have X installed on the machine, everything has to be configured by hand. I have just spent about 2 weeks fiddling with settings to get the network, internet, samba (that was the easiest bit), iptables, and my ups all configured.

I can't imagine that NTPD would be that hard to set up... I downloaded a atomic clock sync program for wintendo and that worked straight away.

Does anybody have a simple configuration I could use?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Jun 27 2003, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

This is all I do after I installed ntpd:

ntpdate Tick.gpsclock.com

This downloads the current time from the above server, and syncs my system with it. I'm guessing it reads your timezone file to figure out where you are. Other then that, that's it, works fine. You may want to use a more local server if you want.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
Joey
post Jun 27 2003, 09:23 AM
Post #3

LinuxHelp Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (tourettes @ Jun 27 2003, 10:01 AM)
This is all I do after I installed ntpd:

ntpdate Tick.gpsclock.com

This downloads the current time from the above server, and syncs my system with it. I'm guessing it reads your timezone file to figure out where you are. Other then that, that's it, works fine. You may want to use a more local server if you want.

How often do you run that? I assume you threw it into the crontab?

+Quote Post
giblet
post Jun 27 2003, 11:12 AM
Post #4

Thanks... running /usr/sbin/ntpdate (with a time server) works well. biggrin.gif

What protocol does it use (so I can set up an appropriate iptables rule)? The machine is a server/firewall and I currently don't allow any traffic other than udp from my isp's dns servers in my input table. (and of course LAN traffic on the other ethernet card)

+Quote Post
giblet
post Jun 28 2003, 06:44 PM
Post #5

cool.gif I found out off a work colleague... NTP uses UDP since it is the fastest protocol, I have poked a suitable hole into my firewall and it works just fine.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 02:44 PM