Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shockwave Plugin/flash Help, Cant view some web pages
thesnowman
post Jun 26 2003, 03:33 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,016

First of all I must confess to being a bit of a newbie,.

I am having problems viewing some web pages as it says I need application/X-shockwave-flash plugin. I am using mozilla as my browser, I was using netscape, but it kept on crashing on me when I looked at some pages. Probably for the same reason.

Also I am using X chat that comes bundled with redhat 9, I am trying to set it up so that q auths me and I join my channel when I connect. I cant even find how to switch the time stamp on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if these are really trivial, but I aint got a clue.

Cheers
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Corey
post Jun 27 2003, 09:07 AM
Post #2

Its GNU/Linuxhelp.net

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

First off, flash:

You need to download the flash plugin from macromedia here. As root, untar the file, and either read the README file, or you can just copy the files to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins . Restart your browser, and test it with www.homestarrunner.com because that site rocks.

As for xchat, it depends on what version you are running. XChat 1.x you can go into the File menu and server list. Go to the server that you use the most (let's say EFNet), click on that and go to "Edit". From there you can set what nickname to use on that server, weather it should autoconnect on startup and what channel to join when it connects. When you enter all that in, save it and connect. For the latest XChat 2.x, there's a little different method, so you should poke around till you find it, but it is there. I'm writing all of this from memory because XChat is on my home box.

For Timestamp, there is an option in the preferences for that, it's in one of the first couple of sections, but it asks you if you want to timestamp all text, and what the format should be [%H:%m:%s], etc.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Corey Quilliam
(former) Linuxhelp.ca Administrator
cquilliam-AT-gmail-dot-com

Want to help out Linuxhelp.net? Check out our Linuxhelp Wiki and see if there are some articles you would like to submit!!

--
Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Work Laptop (HP-Compaq NC6400 Core2)
Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit - Desktop (HP m8120n QuadCore)
Ubuntu 6.04 - Server (I'm not upgrading this baby until support runs out in 2012) (Some old POS dell)

+Quote Post
salazaar
post Jun 27 2003, 07:37 PM
Post #3

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,018

I guess this is kinda irrelevant, because Flash is MIME type application/X-shockwave-flash, while Director Shockwave is application/X-director-shockwave, but Director Shockwave plugin hasn't been ported to Linux yet, so don't go searching for a Shockwave plugin for flash.

--------------------
Windows:

A 32-bit API
on a 16-bit GUI
on a 8-bit shell
on a 4-bit OS
made by a 2-bit company
that won't survive 1 bit of competition.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 12:41 PM