Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Space Problems, Need Advice..
LinuxHatesMe
post Jun 23 2003, 01:03 PM
Post #1

./configure

Group: Members
Member No.: 996

I installed mandrake 9.1 on a 4 gig harddrive and pulled it off using only 1.6 gigs for EVERYTHING I needed. But, it seams that I'm now low on space after installing only 1 game. Problem is I just spent the last 2 days tweaking and customizing this install. Theme, background, programs, email, the works ya know. So I want to delete one of my windows partitions and take some space off it to use for linux. What I want to know is, what are the top 3-4 folders I should look out for? I know / and /home are big ones but I'm not sure how much space they each take up. I think I can at least double the amount of space I have so I'll have 8 gigs or so for linux.

Other problem is, once I make this space how do I go about backing up linux? I want to keep it exactly how it is now. I mean could I copy an entire directory or folder or whatever you call em.. say like I did " mv / [new partition] over to the new 4 gig partition, would that work? Any easy ways of doing this? I mean it's simple with windows, export the registry, backup the folders to some other partition, format or whatever, move em back and import the registry and it's like nothing ever happened, how can I make it seam that easy with this linux transititon?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense but I'm a complete linux noob and surprised to have gotten this far, I'm not about to backtrack and start from square one, ya know?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
warheros
post Jun 23 2003, 01:15 PM
Post #2

./configure

Member No.: 991

i dont know how to backup linux, but you should try looking it up on google or something. it's got to be out there somewhere.

+Quote Post
Jay-Jay
post Jun 23 2003, 01:19 PM
Post #3

I Eat C Code for Breakfast

Member No.: 914

I'm not sure what your trying to do . . . put I poke out an answer or two.

If your trying to add a new partition to linux (a windows partition like it sounds you are doing) all you need to do is reformat the partion with a format programme and change it to an ext3 format. Then get it to mount at bootup by editing the /etc/fstab.

That way you don't need to backup linux and you get the space you need for all your gaming.

Jay-Jay

--------------------
I have a new toothbrush that had rubber prongs to massage my gums while I brush. How odd! (Query of life)

+Quote Post
LinuxHatesMe
post Jun 23 2003, 01:19 PM
Post #4

./configure

Looking it up on linux eh? Well I think I could if I knew what to look for..can't just type " find space recommeneded for each partition" in an xterm and it's gonna tell me. You need to understand I have a Windows mind frame. I have NO IDEA how to look for things, or WHAT to look for when it comes down to linux, unix, freeBSD, whatever. I mean if I asked an Amish person, "Hey man, what refridgerator would you recommend, a fridgaire? or something else? " He'd look at me and go, "what's a refridgerator?" Same concept here bud.

+Quote Post
warheros
post Jun 23 2003, 01:21 PM
Post #5

./configure

ha, aaah sorry, reread that post.

+Quote Post
LinuxHatesMe
post Jun 23 2003, 01:21 PM
Post #6

./configure

Jay-Jay: Your correct in your assumption... BUT I'm going to be moving the directories that need the most space OVER to this new partition, it's not just going to be used to install games. I was thinking I could move / and /usr over. But after I do that using the move command, what do I do next. I've been told I need to change a file to point that my / and /usr directories are now on the new harddrive, but what file is it?

+Quote Post
Jay-Jay
post Jun 23 2003, 01:22 PM
Post #7

Hay, warheros is just trying to help, you must understand your questions arn't really clear, it doesn't seem like you know what you want to do so it's bit hard to figure out a solution.

Google first . . . as most of the problems i see can be solved using google. e.g. ""partition" +howto +linux"

Jay-Jay

--------------------
I have a new toothbrush that had rubber prongs to massage my gums while I brush. How odd! (Query of life)

+Quote Post
LinuxHatesMe
post Jun 23 2003, 01:23 PM
Post #8

./configure

warheros: Just want to clarify though I wasn't TRYING to be a smartass or ANYTHING of that sort. But that was the easiest way for me to explain what I was tyring to say. I'm not good at expressing exactly what I'm trying to do. Cept when I come up with strange stories like that. smile.gif

+Quote Post
LinuxHatesMe
post Jun 23 2003, 01:25 PM
Post #9

./configure

LOL jay jay it's like you read my mind... I'm not good at searching. I always DO search first and then come here. I was working on this a few days ago, and posted it in another forums that day. But I hadn't gotten a reply so I decided to post it here.

+Quote Post
Jay-Jay
post Jun 23 2003, 01:30 PM
Post #10

My suggest is that if you got an install and your trying to get new space, instead of moving partitions just give another partition over to the both (windows and linux) that way you get the best of both worlds, if you don't need to give access to windows, just give it to Linux and be done with it . . . I wouldn't try and move stuff across a partition unless you really can do you boot stuff, your fstab well and other config files. Everything will be set to work on your current partition.

Jay-Jay

--------------------

+Quote Post
LinuxHatesMe
post Jun 23 2003, 01:40 PM
Post #11

./configure

Ok I don't quite understand what you mean, but lemme quickly elaborate exactly what I'm thinking of doing at this moment.

Current setup:

windows; 2 partitions, 1, 4.1 gig for os system files. 2, 14.5 program files/games/etc.
linux;1 partition, 1 4 gigs for entire os

What I want to do: Take the 14.5 gig partition, split it in two and move / and /usr over to it. Then I'll have

New setup:

windows; 2 partitions, 1, 4.1 gig for os system files. 2, 7.25 program files/games/etc.
linux; 2 partition, 1 7.25 gigs for / and /usr. 2, 4 gigs for everything else.

+Quote Post
Jay-Jay
post Jun 23 2003, 01:57 PM
Post #12

Instead of doing that, what's to stop you spliting the large windows one (like your planning to do) and just mount it as a linux partition, install your games on that and then it's all your problems solved in one move, no moving of linux, no problem sharing 4 gigs . . . etc etc.

Jay-Jay

--------------------

+Quote Post
LinuxHatesMe
post Jun 23 2003, 01:59 PM
Post #13

./configure

I would absolutely LOVE to do that, but I would need to be able to install my linux AND windows files/games on it then.

EDIT: Also, let's say this is possible, just to get this question out..... then what about linux programs that already have paths to be installed to, such as /usr/bin or whatever and so on? They will continue to fill up that partition until it's full. I want to move / and /usr to this MUCH larger partition to avoid this problem in the NEAR future until I can get a 100 gig harddrive, then I plan on installing several *nix flavors to test them out. I heard with not much config file editing and so forth I can easily share, /swap /boot /usr directories with them all. Therefore eliminating the need to have 300 or so partitions. smile.gif

+Quote Post
warheros
post Jun 23 2003, 02:12 PM
Post #14

./configure

id just mount that second windows partition/drive to linux, and use it for both. then when you get another harddrive, you can make it all for linux or split it up however you choose.

and changing the /etc/fstab file so that it's mounted on every boot up isnt that hard. trust me.

it sounds like it would involve a lot more work to partition that windows drive, then make it ext3, then move / and /usr or whatever else you wanted over there, then changing it so it knows that / is not where it should/was.

+Quote Post
Jay-Jay
post Jun 23 2003, 02:12 PM
Post #15

Okay, let me call a spade a spade.

If your doing a play off between the two OS's, games = windows wins 9/10 time. Sound = windows wins, programming = linux, price = linux, customization = linux ease of use = windows. It's a play off between the both and if you want to get the best results your'll need to stick to multi boot, which is the best of both. Therefore don't mix them . . .

If your after advice about what to do, give us a problem and we can sort it out. Saying that you have space problems and don't know what to do, saying your a newbie, we give you advice then there it is, don't smack it down.

It sounds like you want the best of everything and that doesn't always come in a nice GUI, you're gonna have to spend time, go out and buy a book, read it, buy another book, mess around on your system, make mistakes and when it doesn't work come back and ask us. I mean like, help i can't mount my hd? My system doesn't support MTRR's? that we can help you with.

General advice we can help you with, but when you don't have a problem and are trying to teak your system's hd's like you are, these are decisions like you are trying to make, you need to make them yourself, and make mistakes. If you just copy your sys files the chances are that they won't work. Just reinstall on another partition.

As such you don't actually have a problem, therefore we can't actually help you at all. Go make changes, screw it up and come back in my opinion! Then we can help you. But tweaking your system like your doing, you need to go away and say to yourself I want to do this, oh i've done it but this doesn't work, or i've done it and it works.

Jay-Jay

--------------------

+Quote Post
warheros
post Jun 23 2003, 02:19 PM
Post #16

./configure

you speak the truth, Jay-Jay

+Quote Post
LinuxHatesMe
post Jun 23 2003, 02:25 PM
Post #17

./configure

LOL.. dude. I don't know why you are interprating what I'm saying the way you are but it's making me sound like I'm waasting your time. In fact, that's exactly what your saying. Before you were cutting at my throat because I was explaining to that warheros guy what I had meant and came up with a story to make it more understandable. Either your gonna help or don't, but please don't make responses saying I'm wasting time and inventing problems when they aren't problems but is actually just me tweaking my system.

And your calling a spade a spade is NOTHING of what I'm doing. That games/sound/programming/price thing, isn't even in the same league of what I'm doing or talking about. I use both os's for the SAME EXACT reason. Because I want to know about them, be able to use them, and understand how pc's and software work. It's just my hobby nothing more. It's what I do for fun.

Now onto the topic of why I started this thread. I am not JUST looking for advice. I'm trying to understand WHERE I need space and WHY I need it there. MY PROBLEM was, if I had split my partition and moved / and /usr, would this work? And if so, what file(s) would I need to change for it to work. Theres the problem and yet you jumped over it and attacked me instead.

+Quote Post
LinuxHatesMe
post Jun 23 2003, 02:28 PM
Post #18

./configure

Speaks the truth ,I see. Well if you guys would stop dragging me off topic then we wouldn't be where we are. I ask something and instead of helping, you QUESTION what and why I am doing it. So is this a help forum or an argument forum? I didn't know I'm supposed to know what I'm talking about before I come ask for help. Because if I knew the answers, I guess I wouldn't need help with it now would I?

+Quote Post
warheros
post Jun 23 2003, 02:33 PM
Post #19

./configure

::cough::

i have given you answers to your problem. what you want to do involves more work than my solution, which would also work.

but it is also true that what you end up doing is your choice and cannot be drawn to one single correct way. and you must admit, your question does not provide only one answer. this is obvious because you have recieved a few different ones, all work. so with all these in mind, and i know that your specific question has not been answered, you have recieved an answer.

i gave you the answer i did because i dont know how to do what you want done.

+Quote Post
LinuxHatesMe
post Jun 23 2003, 02:39 PM
Post #20

./configure

First off, I meant *this guy in my previous reply, I meant nothing towards. I got caught up in frustration after reading his post and then YOU jumping on me agreeing with him. You know nothing about me or what I'm doing. Doing so just by reading through the few posts I'd made is impossible. So why don't you take ONE GIANT STEP OFF MY BACK. Yes you gave me good responses and answers to my questions..and if you'd be kind enough to look back at them, I thanked you for your help. So move along, nothing to see here.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 05:33 PM