Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> I cannot free up disk space
DustinP
post Sep 28 2016, 04:05 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,145

I installed linux Ubuntu 14.04 (current) on my laptop about 2 years ago and never really had any problems. But about 8 months ago the message;

"The volume "boot" has only 0 bytes disk space remaining'

shows up when I turn the computer on and log in.

When I open the Ubuntu Software Center to try and remove programs I get the message;

"New software can't be installed because there is a problem with the software currently installed. Do you want to repair this problem now?"

After I click 'repair' then after i authenticate the same message keeps popping up over and over again and will not let me go any further.

"New software can't be installed because there is a problem with the software currently installed. Do you want to repair this problem now?"

I have no valuable files and would be completely fine with a reset. Is this possible or can anyone help with why I can't delete files?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
garath
post Sep 29 2016, 05:47 AM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,270

In the terminal run "df -h"
It will show you your volumes

If there is /boot volume there then when you've installed it the Boot volume was separated.
this volume has the boot loader and the kernel, So every time you've updated and a new kernel was installed it added to this directory.

(Make sure to backup everything before trying this!)
So you have 3 solution:
Using apt-get (or any GUI installer) remove any of the linux-kernel packages that have the old version.

The second and more dangerous one is (try is only if the first solution not working):
As root travel to the directory and delete the oldest kernel file - It will be the one with the lowest number.
this should free some space then try the first solution again.

The last is just reinstall new version of ubuntu - it will be probably the fastest if you don't know how to handle this stuff (and all your data is backed up).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- DustinP   I cannot free up disk space   Sep 28 2016, 04:05 PM
- - garath   In the terminal run "df -h" It will show...   Sep 29 2016, 05:47 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 07:51 AM