Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> All linux distro's running slow (I think because of my triple core
Aleforge
post Jun 30 2016, 08:57 AM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,109

Hi guys!

I am new to Linux and have 3 laptops I am converting over from Windows 10. All of them are only going to be used for document creation and internet browsing. I have scoured the internet for help but there is so many unanswered similar questions. I figured joining a forum for help would be a good idea.

I am on laptop number two at the moment. Its the fastest among the three. I thought Linux could revitalize older systems and make them more "snappy" but so far on the first to its been pretty lackluster. However I do not want to give up yet as I like the environment and absolutely hate Windows 10.

The first laptop (need to write down the specs) had a ton of issues installing any distro of Linux. Only Ubuntu ended up working, and I dropped to a lighter interface but everything was incredibly laggy. Onto my second laptop (since I have more information atm).

Here are the specs:
CPU: 3x AMD Phenom II P860 Triple core (2.0 Ghz)
RAM: 4GB DDR2
GPU: "Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880

First off the boot time is about 50 sec (using an ATA HD)
Firefox takes about 10 seconds
Libre 5, but I turned on "enable sys tray quick starter"

Is this PC just too slow for Linux? I have a suspicion its not using my CPU properly though, here are my benchmarks (HardInfo)
Blowfish = 800Mhz = 6.5
Crypto Hash = 217
Fibonacci = 2
N-Queens = 12
FPU = 2
Ray = 11

Could Linux not be using my CPU correctly? If so is there a way to fix it?

OK and to not spam the forums, with my system configuration is there a distro you guys recommend?

Thank you!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2017 - 07:27 PM