Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Running "Old" Software
MrWizard
post Mar 12 2016, 12:37 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,060

I recently installed a dual boot Win10/Linux Mint Cinnamon scheme on my computer. The reason I did this was so that some resource-intensive programs (software) might run better. Some folks suggest that "Windows stuff" has quite a bit of "fluff" or bloatware included, which may or may not be correct. Anyway, that is my motivation for installing and running Linux. Perhaps that was/is misguided. At this time, I'm trying out various applications; Mozilla Firefox, the Menu, desktop, folders (which is like Windows Explorer), etc. Just getting my feet wet, a little at a time.

I have several applications that I'd like to run under Linux, to make a general comparison about how well they run; speed, memory, etc. For example, I have purchased programs like Mathcad, Mathematica, AutoCAD, etc., and I'm not sure how to do that. Normally, executable programs have a .exe extension; you just double click on them and go. When I do that under Linux, I get an error message from an application called "Archive Manager" that says there was an error while loading the archive.

Thanks in advance for whatever help folks might be able to provide, and double-extra-thanks if you can do it without using a lot of esoteric jargon or acronyms only known by the secret Linux inner-circle.

Mike
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- MrWizard   Running "Old" Software   Mar 12 2016, 12:37 PM
- - michaelk   Welcome to Linuxhelp. linux can not natively run ...   Mar 12 2016, 03:58 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 02:52 PM