Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> stupid file sorting question, need help cleaning directory of unwanted files
Mongobit
post Jan 30 2015, 02:29 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,828

I have a directory of pdf files covering a wide range of topics from RF to electrical engineering to programming files that i've found useful as a refrence from time to time. Organizing all of these files is getting to be to much of a chore (currently over 8200 files and 8+ gig)I recently installed Mendeley to help manage them and make it easier to find what im looking for. When I first tried to add my archive I had a lot of files that failed to load properly. I want to try loading the directory into the program again but I have a problem. Over the years I have been building this archive other formats have slipped in .exe's and .dll's from CD's found in the back of tech books and its going to be too time consuming to search through all the files manually. i'm still not comfortable enought writting my own bash scripts to do this. I have used fslint to check for and eliminate redundant files but I need to find a program or string together a bash script to scan my archive, create a clone of the file structure, copy all files that are not .pdf's into their respective locations in the cloned file structure and delete them from the original. Afterwards i'll manually check the less cluttered cloned directory and disposition whatever is their as needed. i've tried to find such a program but nothings popping up in Muon and google isn't giving me anything useful either. what say you linux folks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 02:38 AM