Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> Old Red Hat Server, How to allow remote login for user accounts
mrwangcan
post Dec 3 2013, 06:40 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,596

I'll start off by explaining my situation. My friend found an old computer outside and gave it to me, I installed Red Hat Linux 7 on it, no problems. The computer had windows xp on it, so it is probably around the same age as Red Hat 7. My problem is I have spent 2 days attempting to set up user accounts so me, and my friends can log into it remotely from the accounts I created. I have searched for hundreds of different combinations of linux related topics, and there is nothing that helps me. All the ubuntu server setup stuff is too new, Red Hat 7 doesn't have any of those commands, and I'm too much of a noob to know how to install them.

I am sure the internet is working, mozilla browser(first time I used it in over 10 years) did connect to google, so I know the internet works. Also, I know the router is not the problem because it has let me host games on my windows vista machine(the one I'm on now). The problem is if I host a game on the old linux machine, the game will run, and I can connect to localhost port 9000, but not from my ip address on port 9000, even though I'm trying to log into it from the same computer. I want to allow ssh logins so we can use putty to control the Red Hat 7 machine from our newer windows machines, and host games on it. Red Hat 7 works great for compiling and running the games, I wish I knew as much about servers as I do about games. lol. Its probably something really simple, but I have no idea how to do it. Thanks in advance for any help, I really need it.

One last thing, just in case ssh wont work, how do I make the server allow logins by telnet? Also, it has to allow telnet to connect to games, which it currently is not doing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 01:22 AM