Linux Help
guides forums blogs
Home Desktops Distributions ISO Images Logos Newbies Reviews Software Support & Resources Linuxhelp Wiki

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Advanced DNS Management
New ZoneEdit. New Managment.

FREE DNS Is Back

> ls-la unknown color scheme in terminal mode, problems with Ubuntu 12.04 and ls-la results
eightbits
post Oct 19 2013, 08:34 PM
Post #1

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,562

Hello, new user here. I recently downloaded and unziped a file that contains examples of python files. Once unziped, in terminal mode the listing of
that directory shows the directories in that directory as a green background and blue foreground. I do not find a reference to that color scheme,
I am using Ubuntu 12.04.
The directories are named such as: Chapter-01 up to Chapter-18 .

The problem: I can not execute the example name.py files using ".\filename.py" as I can do with other py files (using the terminal mode).
I also get an error message that this is not a dirctory.
I CAN execute the file by using "python filename.py"
Other files not in this directory execute as been in the past.
Also, I can not execute the file(s) using the Desktop file menu. I have insured that the py files have execute permission as well.

The pythonfiles/ scripts run as expected using IDLE the python IDE.

This has me stumped and probally a simple way to understand, except for me :-).

I am thinking this has something to do with the way the zipped file was extracted but don't have a clue. I used the archive tool that is executed when I click on the
file.

I am hoping that I can get some insight so I can continue on in learning to use GUI Python code.

Thanks for any help.

PS: I do have a screen capture if required and I know how to post it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
eightbits
post Oct 20 2013, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Whats this Lie-nix Thing?

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,562

Thanks michaelk for the reply. As I mentioned in the OP I set the permissions for execute and used the terminal mode in the same directory as the python file/script and used the command
"./name.py" to execute the file. I get a error message : No such file or directory even though it is in the directory listing. Strange that it is in the directory listing.
As other files execute in this manner I am thinking it has something to do with extracting the zip file (?).
If I go up one level all of the directories then show up with a GREEN background and BLUE foreground. So, I guess there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.
Strange that it does execute if I call the file from python at the command mode, "python name.py". It then executes as expected.

Another question: Is wxpython an active and well supported toolset?

Once again, thanks for your reply.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 09:48 AM